How to remove wax?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 *Wellington P Funk *

*Wellington P Funk *
  • Guests

08 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

Hey all,

First off, I just wanted to say that I love this forum. Lots of great info for someone previously tint-illiterate. Not to mention an abundance of good-natured busts and bashes going on here.

Anyway, I've got an '02 Jeep Liberty Sport, the one with the black/gray plastic fender flares and bumpers. I got a little ambitious last weekend and decided to give her a good washing and waxing. Unfortunately, not having waxed a car in some time, I got a little hasty and sloppy, and ended up slinging wax onto the gray plastic pieces a bunch of times.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until the next day when the wax dried and got all chalky and bad-looking.

So does anybody have any tricks for removing wax from unpainted plastic trim? I'm really stuck here, my Jeep looks like it was in some kinda pidgeon-pooping contest! Also, any suggestions for a readily-available plastic trim dressing?

Thanks in advance!

-Bob

#2 *Wellington P Funk *

*Wellington P Funk *
  • Guests

09 July 2004 - 10:26 PM

-BUMP-

Anybody have any advice on this???

-Bob

#3 RICHat22

RICHat22

Do it right or take your ass home

•  2,000+
  • Ashland, AL
  • Exp: Since 1992

09 July 2004 - 11:40 PM

If it was someone else's car you might try a wire brush and gasoline on the paint and a mice smooth rag on the plastic.
:spit

On my own car try a soft bristle brush and some quick detail or armor all or something like that. Honestly I'm not a detail guy and haven't ever gotten wax on plastic. I'm too lazy so I go slow to keep from having that happen. :hmmm

#4 carwasher

carwasher

•  100+
  • Pennsylvania
  • Exp: 10

10 July 2004 - 06:34 AM

try an all purpose cleaner and a stiff brush.

If you have access to a hot water pressure washer try blasting it off.

You most likely arent going to get it all out. Chrysler vehicles all have rediculous rubber trim that absorbs wax like crazy. You can make it look better though.

Dont use any solvent based cleaners on the trim because the color will fade.

Lesson here is the dont get it on there in the 1st place.

#5 solareclipseauto

solareclipseauto

DJ DTEK

•  3,000+
  • san diego, ca

15 July 2004 - 01:20 PM

might as well have them painted to match the car!

#6 tint bandit

tint bandit

•  2,000+
  • High Point, North Carolina
  • Exp: Since 2002

31 July 2004 - 08:45 PM

Slickest trick in the books for the weekend warrior is ...peanut butter oil...and a toothbrush....skip the xtra chunky thou :lol Trust me it works and is very safe :thumb

#7 *metint *

*metint *
  • Guests

01 August 2004 - 06:52 AM

Slickest trick in the books for the weekend warrior is ...peanut butter oil...and a toothbrush....skip the xtra chunky thou :beer Trust me it works and is very safe :lol

Wow... :hmmm who would've thunk it? :lol :thumb

#8 *Wellington P Funk *

*Wellington P Funk *
  • Guests

02 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

Yeah Bandit, I'd heard that trick on a Liberty forum a while ago, tried it real quick, but didn't seem to take out all the spots. I'll definitely give it another shot though, glad to hear it's a legitimate trick and not just internet b.s.

Thanks!

-Bob

#9 carwasher

carwasher

•  100+
  • Pennsylvania

03 August 2004 - 05:26 AM

Do you mean peanut oil or peanut butter oil? what is peanut butter oil and what is the process for using it?

#10 *tintgod *

*tintgod *
  • Guests

03 August 2004 - 05:32 AM

Slickest trick in the books for the weekend warrior is ...peanut butter oil...and a toothbrush....skip the xtra chunky thou :thumb Trust me it works and is very safe :thumb

how about a little grape jelly oil with it....mmmmmm..im geting hungry already.. :thumb

#11 tint bandit

tint bandit

•  2,000+
  • High Point, North Carolina
  • Exp: Since 2002

03 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

:rollin the oil in the peanut butter along with the friction from the peanut butter and the brush will do the trick...sometimes it takes a few tries ...then go back with a revive type protectant, 75% silicone at least and do the process again...this should leave nothing but beautiful black trim :nope

#12 *rjmlakota *

*rjmlakota *
  • Guests

04 August 2004 - 07:15 AM

tint bandit is correct. Peanut butter will work my brother details cars and that's what he uses. The 1st time I seen him with the peanut butter I said to him "what the fck are you doing"?? :beer

He proceded to tell me that it removes the wax from the plastic. If I did not see it with my own eye's :nope I would have never beleived it.

Ray

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users