- - - - -

Battery disconnect - remote starter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 *SAS08 *

*SAS08 *
  • Guests

17 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

Installing a remote starter in a 2001 Silverado. Are you supposed to disconnect the battery when doing an installation?

#2 magictinter

magictinter

•  2,000+
  • Tennessee

18 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

disconnecting the battery is the safest way to do it.

#3 cartek

cartek

•  100+
  • Exp: 6

18 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

I dont know anyone that disconnects the battery... how do you test the wires?

I hope you dont do a splice and pray method unless you have the cars memorized. silverado is extremely easy either way, but, you really should test all wires before hooking into them.

#4 wndotint

wndotint

•  3,000+
  • Tulsa, OK.
  • Exp: Since '94

20 February 2008 - 06:48 AM

I know that almost all instructions/manuals tell you to disconnect the negative terminal, but in 19 years of installing, I have NEVER disconnected the terminal for a simple install. The only time I do is if it gets a new battery under the hood.

Like Magictinter said, it is the safest. And since you asked the question, you probably know exactly what you are doing, or you wouldn't have asked.

#5 mas

mas

•  400+
  • california
  • Exp: 7

21 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

in all my years I've never disconnected a battery for installing an alarm unless I was running power wires for smart windows. Other then that maybe sometimes when doing the fuse holder for the amps. btw how do u test the wires if you disconect the battery?

#6 FREDSTINTING

FREDSTINTING

•  400+
  • cape coral florida
  • Exp: 20 years

29 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

if you disconnect the battery you would be there for many days trying to install the remote start alarm

make sure you buy a computer safe test light you plug it in to power it lets you know by red and green led light if its 12 volts or ground wire . any car with a computer these days you can use a test light that you just ground and probe wires but not safe can touch the wrong wire and fry most anything to fup your ride so they make a better test light mac tools or snap on tools or some tool company like that it runs like 100.00 to get and make life easyer when installing in a sensitive electrical system

the best meter is a digital multi meter but little harder than a test light

Edited by FREDSTINTING, 29 September 2009 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users