A Question for the professionals.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BlackOnBlack

BlackOnBlack

•  <10

30 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hey...quick question

Ive just recently received my medical exemption card for vehicle sun screening.

I originally wanted to tint my vehicle with 25% all around, 30% at least, however, I dont think ill get away with it, even with this medical exemption.

On the card it states.

Front-side windows:
% visible light transmission = 60
% visible light reflection = 8

This is basically what they are allowing me to have on my front windshields...

Can someone please explain that to me. I assume that means I can only apply 40% on my front windows? If so what does that do? I have a medical condition and my previous non registered vehicle had 35% on the front windows, that didn't do any good.

Thanks in advance.

#2 TGordon

TGordon

I Tell You What

•  5,000+
  • San Diego, California
  • Exp: 5

31 May 2008 - 05:00 AM

well, I havent finished my morning coffee so dont take it as the holy grail of info but I'd guess it means you are allowed 60% VLT on the front roll ups. From your info it sounds like you cannot do your windshield, I'm going by what I read in your post though. The VLT is how much light transmits through the film and the reflectance is how much it throws back off the tint. 8% is very low reflectivity FWIW.

I'll check back once I'm really awake to see if this answer is right.... Paging Darkdan we need a know it all

#3 kats2112

kats2112

•  3,000+
  • Spring, Texas
  • Exp: Tinting Texas since 1985

31 May 2008 - 05:57 AM

.... Paging Darkdan we need a know it all

:thumb

#4 coolzone

coolzone

•  500+
  • Oklahoma City, OK out west......
  • Exp: 3

31 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

that does not sound like a very goo d medical waiver. Go back to the Dr. and splain to him what you think you are needing for your condition.

What state are you from?

#5 darkdan

darkdan

•  5,000+
  • Owatonna, MN
  • Exp: Since 03

31 May 2008 - 06:46 AM

Sounds like you can install a UV clear or 70% type product. Even then you may be past the 60% limit.

Time to go back to the doctor.

Of course, maybe the doctor understands how light transmission works and understands your medical condition and has deemed this appropriate.

#6 *tintgod *

*tintgod *
  • Guests

31 May 2008 - 06:46 AM

what is the exemption for?

#7 MasterGlassTinterIV

MasterGlassTinterIV

•  25+
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Exp: 16

31 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

any film is going to cut out the UV . 70% is good enought to cut the UV but I recomend that you use V-Kool so that you get the UV and Infared protection. V-K 70 should be your answer and you will love the heat rejection it provides. Solar Gard has a Infared film as well if you can get your hands on v-Kool. By the way what state are you in????

#8 BlackOnBlack

BlackOnBlack

•  <10

31 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Aww man, im in the state of New Jersey, on the card it allows the windshield to be tinted with Clear (UV), on the front-side windows it allows (Shade)visible.

I didnt want to tint the windshield in the first place, just the front windows, I wonder if I get pulled over with 30% film on the front side windows and show the officer this garbage of a medical exemption, will he pull out a device to measure what it says on the card?

#9 BlackOnBlack

BlackOnBlack

•  <10

31 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

porphyrins & solar urticaria

#10 FilmBlazer

FilmBlazer

•  1,000+
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Exp: 13

31 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

By the sounds of your post is seems as if it is the visible spectrum you are looking to reduce. If you have a medical condition whereby you are sensitive to excessive glare then you need to return to your doctor and look request greater visible light reduction.

If you are allergic to UV then you are fine, most films reduce 99% + UV regardless of darkness.

#11 BlackOnBlack

BlackOnBlack

•  <10

31 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

By the sounds of your post is seems as if it is the visible spectrum you are looking to reduce. If you have a medical condition whereby you are sensitive to excessive glare then you need to return to your doctor and look request greater visible light reduction.

If you are allergic to UV then you are fine, most films reduce 99% + UV regardless of darkness.

I dont think its my doctor that I should go too, its more towards the DMV, and yes im trying to reduce the visible spectrum and intensify less visibility seen through the windows on my vehicle, it just upsets me that anyone with a police badge on their windshield around here can have 5% all around and no tickets, and people that actually need some type of dark shade are only granted with a mediocre bootleg shade.

#12 vclimber

vclimber

I am Signal Firendly

•  6,000+
  • I am local
  • Exp: I have some

31 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

porphyrins & solar urticaria

Sounds like you need to talk to the dr and address the visible light transmittance. UV rejection alone is not going to help you like it would a melanoma or basil cell patient. :mad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users