• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#49 blueyes

blueyes

•  25+
  • Ohio
  • Exp: 16

30 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

A Rep told me That 3m was contacted by I think Hallmark greeting cards becasue they needed a transparent silver material for one of their cards. after making some samples they displayed them for the hallmark reps by putting the samples up to the glass to see through them. Somebody noticed that the heat was reduced by doing so. Wha-lah!!! window tint!!! So we got window tint like we got SPAM....accident.

#50 PJF

PJF

Patric Fransko

•  2,000+
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Exp: 15

30 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

A Rep told me That 3m was contacted by I think Hallmark greeting cards becasue they needed a transparent silver material for one of their cards. after making some samples they displayed them for the hallmark reps by putting the samples up to the glass to see through them. Somebody noticed that the heat was reduced by doing so. Wha-lah!!! window tint!!! So we got window tint like we got SPAM....accident.

That is actually very similar to the story that I have heard. Whether it is true or not, :sad At this point, we are 30+ years into it. Why does it even matter?

#51 ORIGINAL

ORIGINAL

•  100+
  • Houston, Texas

30 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

That is actually very similar to the story that I have heard. Whether it is true or not, :sad At this point, we are 30+ years into it. Why does it even matter?

i guess its all about the bragging rights!

#52 TintDude

TintDude

•  Admin
  • Portland Or
  • Exp: Since '86

30 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

#53 H.G.

H.G.

•  Subscribers
  • phoenix
  • Exp: spray on adhesive/flo-coat

30 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

:deadhorse WOW is there an emoticon for "resurrection" ????

1903 - Hy-Sil, the precursor to Madico, is founded. Madico begins to build a technical competency in multi-layer materials such as paper and postcards.

1935 - Hy-Sil's ( Madico)Paul Alexander builds the world's first roll-to-roll Metalizer, a process that enables the birth of the window film market.

Just for the history books. :D

#54 MaXPro Films

MaXPro Films

•  >10
  • USA, Canada, Dubai
  • Exp: Combined over 200 yrs./President 40+ yrs in manufacturing/IWFA Exec Director

08 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Fred Flintstone had MaXPro on his car!

#55 flat rock stan

flat rock stan

aka Mr Rogers

•  Subscribers
  • Portland Oregon
  • Exp: 32+

08 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

After working with flow on tint the first FILM I installed was mmm. No adhesive, no hard coat, no liner........ Was kind of hard to work with :blink: Shame they still don't make their own product.

#56 opus

opus

•  Subscribers
  • Aberdeen NC
  • Exp: 8 in tint! 24 in auto over all (Autobody, General Auto Mechanics, Detail, PDR, Electronics, Accessories, and so forth)

08 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

This is a quote from Lifetime Solar Security http://windowtinting...s/manufacturer/

"CPFilms’ predecessor, Martin Processing Inc., founded in 1955, was the inventor and held the patents on the original processes for making deep-dyed window films, which were the forerunners of today’s sophisticated constructions."

Solutia press kit fact sheet http://www.llumar.co...sFactSheet.aspx

Solutia's Performance Films division was founded in 1955 by Julius Hermes. Originally named Martin Processing, the company specialized in developing dyeing technology for polyester yarn and other materials. In 1987, the Hermes family sold Martin Processing to the British global firm of Courtaulds, which named the company Courtaulds Performance Films which afterward became CPFilms Inc. In 1999, the company became a subsidiary of Solutia Inc.®, a world-class chemical company headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, USA and is known as Solutia's Performance Films division.

#57 Roach

Roach

• New Jersey, USA
  • Exp: 14

08 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

I guess all the big boys take credit..

#58 TintDude

TintDude

•  Admin
  • Portland Or
  • Exp: Since '86

08 August 2011 - 05:08 PM