Photo

LLumar Window Tint Film

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 ray

ray

•  <10

10 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Is this brand of tint any good? If not wich brands of tint do most of you use? We are a small business in a small town and are doing window tinting fairly new to it actualy so any pointers or tip to make the job easier will be helpful

#2 addicted to tint

addicted to tint

•  500+
  • Exp: 24

10 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

The film is only as good as the installation which is probably your immediate issue. There are good and bad choices from all manufacturers including LLumar. LLumar has (3) 1.5mil lifetime warranted color stable films - ATC/ATR/ATX, which are all good choices. They also have Jet, not so good a choice.

Read through the post for tips/pointers - that's a pretty broad request.

#3 OCC

OCC

•  2,000+
  • Jacksonville N.C
  • Exp: 9

10 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Is this brand of tint any good? If not wich brands of tint do most of you use? We are a small business in a small town and are doing window tinting fairly new to it actualy so any pointers or tip to make the job easier will be helpful

is this a serious question

#4 Ryker

Ryker

•  Subscribers
  • southern IL
  • Exp: since 1999

10 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

so many NEW posters coming in and asking questions like this......

WHERE are you located?

#5 OCC

OCC

•  2,000+
  • Jacksonville N.C
  • Exp: 9

10 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

You cann't just jump in with A FIRST POST LIKE THIS

#6 scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno

What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

•  5,000+
  • The Motor City
  • Exp: 7

10 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

there really isn't any "best" film. it all depends on your tinting methods. I highly suggest you stick with one type of film, and get used to it. Personally I use Solar Gards HP Smoke, Supreme, HP Supreme, Quantum, and HP Charcoal lines. I'm used to how they shrink, and every other film I try I don't like because of the way it shrinks. Get used to a film, and as long as it doesn't give you problems don't switch.

#7 window_tintee

window_tintee

•  700+
  • MN

10 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Does the tint actually "shrink"?!

So, you have to like heat it up or something......

Tint goes on the inside, right?

#8 obi wan folie

obi wan folie

•  300+
  • Germany near Frankfurt
  • Exp: 17 years in tint/24 years in signmaking 5years in PPF

11 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

:welcome sometimes its really hard to be a smart tinter atsq from newbies

#9 scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno

What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

•  5,000+
  • The Motor City

11 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

yes, the film always goes on the inside. Shrinking the film is what allows you to install the film in one piece on car and SUV backglasses.

Film does shrink, just all films do it a little differently. Go to home depot or another hardware store and get yourself some type of heat gun. Brand and type doesn't really matter, as long as it heats up to 1000 degrees plus. All heat forming and cutting is done on the outside of the window, and then installed on the inside.

Here's a picture that explains step by step the easiest way to shrink a back window on a car.

First, start with a clean and dry back window. take any plain bar soap and rub it on a damp towel, and then rub the towel all over the back window. Make sure you get it everywhere, and then wait a few minutes for it to dry. The entire window will look hazy.

Now, do like in the picture.
1. Lay your film across the window, and cut it so its just inside the rubber trim all the way around.
2. Take a hard card, and anchor the film to the window as indicated by the red lines, making sure not to crease the film, and that the sides lay completely flat with no little puckers on them.
3. Get your heat gun heated up, and a heat proof ove glove or similar.
4. Try applying a little heat to the area indicated as "#1" in the diagram. Holding the heat gun 4-6" away from the window, angled towards the bottom of the window. Move it around relatively quickly in small circles. You will see the film "react" as it is shrinking. Take your gloved finger and gently push the area you just shrank down flat on the window, down until just above where you stopped heating.
5. Repeat the process for about halfway down the bottom half of the window like in the diagram.
6. Move to the part labeled "#2" and do the same thing, only this time shrink the film all the way down to the bottom of the window. Doing this will make the corners easier to lay down, since shrinking the center pulls the film towards the middle, making less shrink for the corners.
7. Pull the anchor on the film up in the "#3" area, and begin to shrink the film in that area. Always have the heatgun facing down and inwards on the window, to keep your shrink going up and down. Use your hand to manipulate the film so you have all the shrinking being done vertically.
8. When your just beginning, I recommend peeling back half the film off the window, and wetting under it, then doing the same on the other side. Squeegee the film down to the glass on the outside just like you would on the inside, minus removing the liner. Doing this will show a new tinter better whether there will be any fingers that pop up on the inside. Usually you will have a couple small fingers pop up, so go ahead and shrink those down.
9. Using a light if necessary, cut the film all the way around the window, about 1/8th to a 1/4 inch past the black dots.
10. Clean the back glass, peel the film wet it and reverse roll, then install the film like normal.

It is very hard to get good at shrinking, but once you get the hang of it it gets a lot easier.

If you have any other questions just ask, and ignore all the people on here who don't post any useful information. I'll try and help you as much as I can.

Attached Images

• shrink.JPG

#10 maddtinter

maddtinter

•  500+
  • Livermore,CA
  • Exp: 25

11 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

Well that explains it.Did you really need this step by step way on shrinking?I see you have 4 years. :dwiwd

#11 tint star

tint star

•  500+
  • socal
  • Exp: 20

12 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

llumar isn't any good try all these brands first:

sun gard
johnson
global
solar gard
madico
suntek
value tint
hanita
wintek
v kool
huper
bejing tint exclusive from china
and I think there is a TINTDUDE Brand ask leo
anyone else? :tantrum

Edited by tint star, 12 February 2009 - 08:39 PM.

#12 Tint Artist

Tint Artist

•  4,000+
  • Leesburg, Florida
  • Exp: 26

12 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

:tantrum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users