• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Monique

Monique

•  500+
  • north and east SF bay area
  • Exp: 24 yrs

14 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

A former New Yorker, who's just moved here to California and has nothing good to say about the state, swears that 'in New York, there's tint that gets darker in the sun, ya know, like your glasses'. When I told him it doesn't exist, he still swears up and down that there is and that 'New York gets all the cool stuff, not California'. Now, I'm pretty up to date on most things. So, I ask you, IS there a film that acts like sunglasses, ie, it darkens in uv light and gets clear at night? I'd like to tell this stuffy, know-it-all New Yawker where to go!

#2 Jarrett

Jarrett

•  500+
  • Fort Worth, Tx
  • Exp: 0

15 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

I used to have a pair of eye glasses that darkened in the sun...
so I think they could at lest have windows on a automobile that darken in the sun...
and I think Infinity used to advertise a car that did that a long time ago :lol2

Here is an article on smart glass
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Smart_glass

and I know that welding helmets electronically can auto darken ( I used to have one)

Edited by Jarrett, 15 March 2009 - 12:10 AM.

#3 Monique

Monique

•  500+
  • north and east SF bay area
  • Exp: 24 yrs

15 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

I used to have a pair of eye glasses that darkened in the sun...
so I think they could at lest have windows on a automobile that darken in the sun...
and I think Infinity used to advertise a car that did that a long time ago :lol2

Here is an article on smart glass
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Smart_glass

and I know that welding helmets electronically can auto darken ( I used to have one)

No, he says there's a window tinting film that can do this!

#4 Jarrett

Jarrett

•  500+
  • Fort Worth, Tx
  • Exp: 0

15 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

well the smart glass article talks about a laminate that has suspended particles that align a certian way when a current is applied...
so... how thin is a laminate??? could it be applied to the outside or inside of a window??? maybe? :lol2

#5 GLASSPROTECT

GLASSPROTECT

•  500+
  • Europe
  • Exp: 20

15 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

There was a film like that about 15 years ago by rainbow I think
They had 2 problems

1=it stopped changing the darkness after 6 months
2=they could only change vlt for 50%
so from 20% to 5% or from clear to 50%

#6 LEO'n'DARTZ

LEO'n'DARTZ

•  20,000+

15 March 2009 - 03:28 AM

There was a film like that about 15 years ago by rainbow I think
They had 2 problems

1=it stopped changing the darkness after 6 months
2=they could only change vlt for 50%
so from 20% to 5% or from clear to 50%

As saw something - it was stoping faster....

Edited by LEO'n'DARTZ, 15 March 2009 - 03:28 AM.

#7 Shady Sherlock

Shady Sherlock

Don't Squint.... Just Tint!!!

•  7,000+
  • East Coast, NC, USA
  • Exp: Never Enough

15 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

I'd like to tell this stuffy, know-it-all New Yawker where to go!

Yea, like back to New York!!!

We have a great deal of Yankees that have migrated South and they all like to say, "That's not how we do it up north"...

And I like to say, I don't give a sh!t how you did it up there, if you liked it so much, then go yourass back... :lol2

#8 Ryker

Ryker

•  Subscribers
  • southern IL
  • Exp: since 1999

15 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

I posed this question to one of the film manufacturers a few years ago. The response was that it will NOT last in continuous solar exposure. They could make one but it would just not last.......

#9 TeeDub

TeeDub

•  10,000+

15 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

Glassprotect is right there have been films as described in the market..... haven't seen one for a long time though..... they had longevity problems. They were supposed to work in a forward-reverse transition, light to dark and then dark to light, they did this for a short period of time and then the reverse gear stopped working so the film was permanantly locked in its darker spectrum.

#10 FRANK

FRANK

NYTINTER

•  400+
  • NEW YORK
  • Exp: 9yrs

16 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

In NY I have not seen actually seen it, but yes I have seen it many years ago on a few cars while on vacation in the carribean islands. Not sure if they even make that type of film anymore, and yes I get that here as well being in NY about that film :gasp

#11 exclusive1

exclusive1

•  75+
  • Oregon
  • Exp: 10

16 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

So I pose the question. The technoligy is absolutley awesome but how much do those glasses cost? there is maybe 3square inchs, if the film manufactures could get it to last and maybe be warrantable that would be awsome but how much do you think it would cost a SF? that would probable be a tough sell in my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users