removing peel & stick tint from rear window defroster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 road rage vigilante

road rage vigilante

•  <10
  • Exp: 25

08 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

I've got a customer that is annoyed by the peel & stick window tint that was installed by the previous owner on the inside of the rear windshield.
They came in to have their rear defroster fixed, and have the window tint removed.
New owner tried removing window tint with scraper, and apparently, destroyed the rear windshield continuity, thus making the rear defroster inoperable, when they tried scraping off the window tint film.
The damage to the rear defroster is slight, and can be repaired with the rear defroster aftermarket fixer.
So, in order to save the customer a chunk of change, at their request, the expense of having to replace the rear windshield, they asked me if there was some way of removing that old peel & stick window tint, without furthur destroying the built-in rear windshield defroster.
Even the small part of window tint they sucessfully removed, the remaining residual glue makes seeing thru that small part of the winshield not visibly up to par, creating non-visibility, and not the transparent visibility of clear new glass, but only the translucent effect, of which only lets a little more light in, with no increased visibility.
Is there a method or chemical which can safely remove the tint without furthur destroying the rear defroster.
I know there is a chemical which is used to make PC boards for electronics, of which, is an acid which eats away at the metal except where an adhesive has been applied, although I'm interested in a chemical or method which does the exact opposite, and eats away at the film and glue, without destroying the metal foil lines which allow electricity to pass thru the lines and heat the rear windshield.
I was thinking of the old heat method with a heat gun to soften the glue, without cracking the glass, but I'd rather try a chemical, if available, of which may cause the film and glue to disintegrate, without the risk of cracking the glass or melting the orange (copper, I believe), rear defroster heat dissapaters.
This stuff is stuck on there so good, I don't know if a conventional chemical glue dissolver would work its way under the film, and thus, therfore, maybe a chemical which eats both plastic and glue, and not metal would work, and if it could be sprayed directly onto to the film it may bubble and a glue dissolver, such as Goo be gone, could safely work it's way under the bubbled plastic.
With all those different plastics out there, I have yet to even determine, which type of plastic the window tint film is made of, and thus a chemical which may dissolve, say polypropylene, may not work on another type of plastic.
Once I get the answer to this way of safely removing rear window tint film, I'll be sure to forward your reply to Davison Inventions for your new patent-LoL.
It's nice to have when some imbisile forgets to shut off his high beam blue-halogen headlights straight up to your bumper, although as I reckon, they,re so blind at night driving anyway that the only reason why they're coming straight on your ass/rear bumper, is so they can track your taillights without barely being able to see where they're going.
And not everybody wants to drive a car like a tractor-trailer, which obviously doesn't have a rear windshield, 'cause they ain't the professional truck drivers like you and I, which have to rely soley on our door mirrors.
Got to keep the customer happy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 The ///Man

The ///Man

•  3,000+
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Exp: 15

08 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

This person brought me a car that had a static cling sticker on there for at least like 10 years, it was dated and I remember it being old. certain colors were mising but the remaining part was damn near impossible to remove. I softened it with a steamer for a long while and just pulled it off mm at a time.

#3 *filmslayer *

*filmslayer *
  • Guests

08 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

:DD

#4 Booms

Booms

You better recognize..... ©

•  Subscribers
  • Inverness Fl.
  • Exp: Lots...

09 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

If You have 25 years experience, You should be WELL versed in the art of removing old window tint.

#5 *tintjam65 *

*tintjam65 *
  • Guests

09 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And I'm thought of as long winded. :scotty

Sounds like a real challenge there.

Have you tried soaking it where you take a black garbage bag and cut into a single sheet to fit the glass? If not, try it, but you will need some heavy ammonia-isopropyl and water mix to put down first and then cover with your cut-out bag. Face the window toward full sun on a cloudless day and let it soak for 30-45 minutes before you try peeling away the film. Leave the bag in place when attempting to remove your soaked material. If that doesn't work, have you got a glock or rock?

#6 *Retnitorp *

*Retnitorp *
  • Guests

09 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

I've got a customer that is annoyed by the peel & stick window tint that was installed by the previous owner on the inside of the rear windshield.
They came in to have their rear defroster fixed, and have the window tint removed.

Sounds to me like you are not in the window Film biz.I can understand you would make more money removing the film and fixing the defroster lines.
you should consider finding a Auto Tinting company near you.and have them remove the film.then you fix the defroster.Think of it this way Next time they need a defroster fixed,tell them to give you a call.could be a start of a good thing for you and them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users