• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 The Critic

The Critic

•  25+
  • Exp: 2

10 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Not a pro, just a consumer.

I am looking at two different tinters in my area, one of them was actually a member on this forum and the other does great work for the higher-end cars community. Both of them do fantastic work, so the labor is not the question here.

Can someone explain to me, the differences between a carbon based tint and a ceramic based tint? What are the pros and cons to each? I am somewhat familiar with the ceramic In this situation, I would be choosing between F1 Pinnacle Ceramic and Suntek Carbon XP. My vehicle is a 2011 Prius and I am in the Central Coast, CA, area if those details matter.

Thanks in advance.

#2 The ///Man

The ///Man

•  3,000+
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Exp: 15

10 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Go with the Formula 1. I don't think the SunTek is a bad product, but I don't trust that their films live up to what they say from experiences with their past films, and CXP is still too new to really know what it's going to do long term.

#3 addicted to tint

addicted to tint

•  600+
  • Exp: 24

11 July 2011 - 02:04 AM

Not a pro, just a consumer.

I am looking at two different tinters in my area, one of them was actually a member on this forum and the other does great work for the higher-end cars community. Both of them do fantastic work, so the labor is not the question here.

Can someone explain to me, the differences between a carbon based tint and a ceramic based tint? What are the pros and cons to each? I am somewhat familiar with the ceramic In this situation, I would be choosing between F1 Pinnacle Ceramic and Suntek Carbon XP. My vehicle is a 2011 Prius and I am in the Central Coast, CA, area if those details matter.

Thanks in advance.

Carbon XP has been available for about a year and is a standard deep dyed film with added IR absorbers for stronger than typical heat rejection/absorption. Pinnacle has an 8 plus year history as color stable proprietary ceramic based film. There is a lot of info on this forum regarding the appearance of current ST XP and a low angle haze issue. F1 Pinnacle has a factory shaded glass appearance that is one of the best looking films on the market, and has been a long time. F1 warranty coverage transfers with the Prius if you sell it, with ST XP it is assigned to you. ST XP is typically available to anyone who calls ST to purchase it, F1 is exclusive to the dealer's geographical region. Price wise, F1's PI series minimally cost the dealer a little more than twice what ST XP cost dealers, so it really is far from an apple to apple comparison.

Edited by addicted to tint, 11 July 2011 - 02:06 AM.

#4 The Critic

The Critic

•  25+

11 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

I see. Turns out both of the installers were regular posters on this forum.

Is the only issue with Carbon XP, the fact that it is new, or because carbon based, deep-dyed films are technically inferior to ceramic?

#5 The Critic

The Critic

•  25+

11 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

Also, I read in another thread that ghosting is sometimes an issue with darker ceramic films. Will the F1 Pinnacle 15% have this type of issue?

Since the Suntek CXP is a dyed film at heart, will it be more susceptible to fading?

#6 STintVA

STintVA

•  25+
  • Exp: 5+

12 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

Critic

To add a little further information to the mix, I would tell you that you're looking at the two best options on the market (IMO) and can't go wrong with either. Pinnacle is a great, ceramic-based product with high heat rejection and proven performance. CXP (contrary to what has been said here) has a layer of true Carbon in the film, giving it many of the benefits of Ceramic films (non-interference, color stability, non-reflective appearance) and is not just your typical dyed film. Both carry a national warranty backed by very stable manufacturers. If I were you, I'd go with the shop that made you feel the most comfortable (experience, longevity in market, and price) and go from there. :thumb

#7 The ///Man

The ///Man

•  3,000+
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Exp: 15

12 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

While I can't comment on the Pinnacle, my biggest bitch with SunTek is their reps marketing the normal carbon to me as a color stable non-fading film and a few short years later it started turning purple (not crazy purple, but it was starting). That right there is reason enough for me to want to wait it out and see what happens with the CXP.

#8 TGordon

TGordon

I Tell You What

•  5,000+
  • San Diego, California
  • Exp: 5

12 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Critic

To add a little further information to the mix, I would tell you that you're looking at the two best options on the market (IMO) and can't go wrong with either. Pinnacle is a great, ceramic-based product with high heat rejection and proven performance. CXP (contrary to what has been said here) has a layer of true Carbon in the film, giving it many of the benefits of Ceramic films (non-interference, color stability, non-reflective appearance) and is not just your typical dyed film. Both carry a national warranty backed by very stable manufacturers. If I were you, I'd go with the shop that made you feel the most comfortable (experience, longevity in market, and price) and go from there. :waving

ST,

Suntek Carbon, the non XP variety also has a layer of carbon built into the film according to what you have been told. If that is the case, what allows CXP to perform better than the standard Carbon film.

#9 VOLTRON

VOLTRON

•  2,000+
  • Dallas, TX
  • Exp: 10

12 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

My personal oppinion would be the F1, I do not have alot of experience with either one of the films as they are auto films as I am a flatglass guy but I know F1 has been around alot longer with very minimal issues at all from what I have heard in the industry. That being said, price may be a factor for you as the F1 is more expensive.

#10 STintVA

STintVA

•  25+
  • Exp: 5+

12 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

Critic

To add a little further information to the mix, I would tell you that you're looking at the two best options on the market (IMO) and can't go wrong with either. Pinnacle is a great, ceramic-based product with high heat rejection and proven performance. CXP (contrary to what has been said here) has a layer of true Carbon in the film, giving it many of the benefits of Ceramic films (non-interference, color stability, non-reflective appearance) and is not just your typical dyed film. Both carry a national warranty backed by very stable manufacturers. If I were you, I'd go with the shop that made you feel the most comfortable (experience, longevity in market, and price) and go from there. :beer

ST,

Suntek Carbon, the non XP variety also has a layer of carbon built into the film according to what you have been told. If that is the case, what allows CXP to perform better than the standard Carbon film.

FM, my friend :beer

#11 TGordon

TGordon

I Tell You What

•  5,000+
  • San Diego, California
  • Exp: 5

12 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

Critic

To add a little further information to the mix, I would tell you that you're looking at the two best options on the market (IMO) and can't go wrong with either. Pinnacle is a great, ceramic-based product with high heat rejection and proven performance. CXP (contrary to what has been said here) has a layer of true Carbon in the film, giving it many of the benefits of Ceramic films (non-interference, color stability, non-reflective appearance) and is not just your typical dyed film. Both carry a national warranty backed by very stable manufacturers. If I were you, I'd go with the shop that made you feel the most comfortable (experience, longevity in market, and price) and go from there. :beer

ST,

FM, my friend :boogie

:dunno

#12 addicted to tint

addicted to tint

•  600+
  • Exp: 24

12 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Critic

To add a little further information to the mix, I would tell you that you're looking at the two best options on the market (IMO) and can't go wrong with either. Pinnacle is a great, ceramic-based product with high heat rejection and proven performance. CXP (contrary to what has been said here) has a layer of true Carbon in the film, giving it many of the benefits of Ceramic films (non-interference, color stability, non-reflective appearance) and is not just your typical dyed film. Both carry a national warranty backed by very stable manufacturers. If I were you, I'd go with the shop that made you feel the most comfortable (experience, longevity in market, and price) and go from there. :d

I'd agree. But you seem to have a budget in mind and genuine concerns for appearance. Ask for a sample to go side by side of each and see which you prefer. This may seem a bit extreme but it happens. Then decide based on all the advice given here as well as the comparison on your car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users