25 replies to this topic

#1 TintJunkie

TintJunkie

Tintler

•  5,000+
  • Cypress, TX
  • Exp: 13

06 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Ok, so I am testing out the new machine, which is not a film handler. I have yet to pull any film from it yet mainly because I am almost afraid to. The bar that holds the film is very very flimsy. As you can see, I have a 48" roll on it sitting in the middle so you can see the bow in the bar. Also, you cannot put the film in the middle of the machine, or at least I havent quite figured out how to do so. If I pull the film as it sits, its possible the bar holding the film will slide out of its mount. It is designed to put the film all the way to the left, which isnt a good idea. All that does is make the ladder want to fall over when you pull the film.

They are sending a beefier bar to hold the film, but they need to also send another collar to lock the bar in place while the film sits in the middle. There are three collars. Two are used to lock the bar in place, and the other is used to hold the spindle on the right side tight to the film. There is a "bumper" of sorts on the left side keeping that one at the 0 mark on the ruler.

As far as the cutting heads, they are difficult to slide across the bar. A little grease would work, but then it gets everywhere. My suggestion would be to add three small rollers on the inside of the heads where the can slide easily across the bar...right now its just friction. I will update tomorrow after I pull some film. I saw this thing in action in Memphis and it looked terrific.

The other pain with it is loading the film. You have to pull off two collars and one spindle (or hub I should be saying), slide the bar into the core, replace the hub and other two collars, pick it up as one unit, and place back on the cutter. With heavy ass SS film, its a challenge.

Just thought you guys would like to know.
Posted Image

#2 MikeMN

MikeMN

•  4,000+
  • Exp: 30 years Full Time

06 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

That machine is designed by the same guy that designed the original Film Handler, they should have put a horizontal cutter on this one like the 2 different film cutting machines I used in the past.

#3 OneTen

OneTen

•  400+
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Exp: 100'

06 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

i know nothing about film handlers

Edited by OneTen, 06 October 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#4 TintJunkie

TintJunkie

Tintler

•  5,000+
  • Cypress, TX

06 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

That machine is designed by the same guy that designed the original Film Handler, they should have put a horizontal cutter on this one like the 2 different film cutting machines I used in the past.

If they would have left the hubs on risers, this cutter would be a lot better. I cant see this working very well even with a beefed up bar. I think it would still bow with SS film. I will report tomorrow after I cut some film.

#5 MikeMN

MikeMN

•  4,000+

06 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

If they would have left the hubs on risers, this cutter would be a lot better. I cant see this working very well even with a beefed up bar. I think it would still bow with SS film. I will report tomorrow after I cut some film.

If the bar that holds the film was stiffer that would definitely help, one of the machines I used to use, it was adjustable were it would mount to the top of the ladder, so with heavy film like you have on that one, the ladder would not tip over if the film was on the left hand side, they should have thought of that.... :lol

#6 MikeMN

MikeMN

•  4,000+

06 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

i know nothing about film handlers

:lol ... Perhaps even a 5th grader would know more....... :spit ...... :poke

#7 kats2112

kats2112

•  3,000+
  • Spring, Texas
  • Exp: Tinting Texas since 1985

06 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Stick yer dam straight edge on the box, stab a blade, and lay come film! :lol

#8 MikeMN

MikeMN

•  4,000+

06 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hey TintJunkie, If you have time tomorrow, take a few more pics of that machine and post them here.

#9 Coast To Coast Tinting

Coast To Coast Tinting

Tinting the World one Window at a Time !

•  Subscribers
  • TN
  • Exp: 19

06 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

the one draw back I see to this design, is that it will never hold a roll of film on a 6 inch hub. And will need to be redesigned to do so. :lol

Also the bar running through the roll off film seems like it might work well for jobs when you are using the whole roll, but kind of a hassel for someone switching rolls of film several times a day.

#10 SnappyTint

SnappyTint

Snappy Tint

•  3,000+
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Exp: 14

06 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

The shims they provided for mine done even work, the holes are too small to fit over the core. I don't like the flimsy pipe either.

#11 TINT

TINT

®

•  20,000+
  • BAY AREA
  • Exp: 15

06 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Stick yer dam straight edge on the box, stab a blade, and lay come film! :win

:thumb

#12 TintJunkie

TintJunkie

Tintler

•  5,000+
  • Cypress, TX

08 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hey TintJunkie, If you have time tomorrow, take a few more pics of that machine and post them here.

I took some pics today and will upload them from my pc later, as im posting from my tablet right now.

Ive got 15k sq ft to lay using this and the original fh, so ive got plenty of time for pics.

Ok, so another complaint. While pulling ss film, the roll sticks out further than the cutters, so it mars the film pretty bad through the cutters, however, the cutter openings are much larger than the original, so that helps to start your first cut through the head.

I read the instructions for cutting ss film and it says to position the film in the middle of the cutter, however, the brake is on the left side and useless for this application, and in setting up this way, you cant lock the bar that hold the film in because i would need another collar. So when i pull the film, i have to hold the roll of film bc if i dont, the film wont pull evenly even with holding the film evenly while pulling.

Also, after pulling to my desired length, when i put the hold down bar down, it pulls the film back up about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I am pulling film for an exact fit to the window, as i am also installing gullwing, so it has to be right. I made the mistake on not checking the measurement and wasted about 200 sq ft of film before i realized it was short.

I am going to contact the maker and give him an earfull of producing a product without truly testing. In short, do not buy this at least if you will use it ss film. Even though this could be a better cutter than the original, it needs vast improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users