33 replies to this topic

#25 Invisibra.net

Invisibra.net

Invisibra.net

•  300+
  • Dallas, Tx
  • Exp: 16+

07 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

wow, nice to see resolution to the issue. Glad everyone was professional and used good communication to clear it all up!

Norm

#26 vdubpower

vdubpower

•  25+

17 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

I ended up deciding to get xpel ultimate, instead of the venture.
I was told the xpel will be 20percent more, but the advantage is that it is more stain resistant ( I was shown all those videos from xpels site), and that the warrenty was much better.
I was told looks wise the venture is better, but can yellow faster

I was tld tha install is easier with venture than xpel

when I asked whether its better to use a big sheet and custom cut everything versus take an oversized stensil from the computer program I was told its better to go with the latter

so I got the hood and front fenders tucked and wrapped,(150$ more) the front bumper done, front fog lights, headlights, side mirrors , A pillars, rear bumper by the trunk, window tints done with charcool, all for 2200 bucks

no idea if I got a good deal or not, but hopefully this stuff will do what its supposed to

#27 PPFdistributing

PPFdistributing

•  200+
  • Massachusetts

19 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Most people who say this aren't actually telling you the most accurate information. Ventureshield film doesn't yellow. It is actually a reaction between the isocyanate in the the paint system and the acrylic monomer in the adhesive. Typical paint jobs have 1-2% residual isocyanate solvent left in them. Whte and pearl paints typically have upwards of 5-7% and that is whats causing the issue with yellowing. The solvent gets trapped under it. It's not as common as its made out to be on the forums. Regardless, you picked a great film to use. You would have been happy with either one. Where are the pictures? we want to see how it came out.

#28 vdubpower

vdubpower

•  25+

19 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

well u cant see it enless u are close up to it, so dunno what pics will show,

the installer said that no matter what there will be small areas of nonsmoothness, I guess because of stretch

I havent really gone over it with a fine tooth comb to see, but at first glance everything looks fine to me,

#29 SDTINT

SDTINT

•  <10

19 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Most people who say this aren't actually telling you the most accurate information. Ventureshield film doesn't yellow. It is actually a reaction between the isocyanate in the the paint system and the acrylic monomer in the adhesive. Typical paint jobs have 1-2% residual isocyanate solvent left in them. Whte and pearl paints typically have upwards of 5-7% and that is whats causing the issue with yellowing. The solvent gets trapped under it. It's not as common as its made out to be on the forums. Regardless, you picked a great film to use. You would have been happy with either one. Where are the pictures? we want to see how it came out.

PPF's destiny is to be applied to paint so to say that it doesnt yellow on the roll may be true but its irrelevant. I drive a white car with clearshield 2 years and its still clear as the day I put it on yet I did a customers white car with venture 6 months ago and the whole nose is a different color.

If its an adhesive problem why is a solution to apply sealants to the surface to prevent this yellowing. ive always read and heard that the yellowing is a lack of maintance or using incorrect waxes and cleaning products that, instead of filling the pores of the material, penetrate and dye.

#30 smartie2shoes

smartie2shoes

•  Subscribers
  • Exp: Enuf

19 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

There could be a number of possibilities for urethane yellowing beginning with the use of UV absorbers (the more you use the more yellow), paint solvent retains and hydrocarbons spued up by tires from road surfaces and what's comming out of exhasut pipes.

I can say most people's expectations are set way too high for what is known as a sacricficial product. I had PPF on my vehicle for almost 8 years before replacing it with the current install, which is running up on two years old. The two year old film looks the same as the almost 8 and it never saw a coating of wax or sealant once delivered back to me.

What I did note with either install; they both became lightly discolored withnin the first year and never got worse or better. When the first install was removed, the paint below had no chips; that was my goal in using the product despite it not being absolutely clear as the day it was installed. IMO, it should be everyone's goal who purchases this type product.

#31 Invisibra.net

Invisibra.net

Invisibra.net

•  300+
  • Dallas, Tx
  • Exp: 16+

22 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sacrificial product... I like that description.

#32 vdubpower

vdubpower

•  25+

22 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

whats teh best method to care for these films

I have become a fan of doing my own details for the car,
wash, clay, using a dual action porter cable with some meguires wax , finish

can I use the same for xpel, or no dual actions or rotarys should be placed on it

#33 XPEL_Tim

XPEL_Tim

•  Subscribers
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Exp: 18

22 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

whats teh best method to care for these films

I have become a fan of doing my own details for the car,
wash, clay, using a dual action porter cable with some meguires wax , finish

can I use the same for xpel, or no dual actions or rotarys should be placed on it

If you have XPEL Ultimate, you can wax it normally. You can use a DA to apply the wax if you like, but there is no need to use a DA in conjunction with polishes etc. Those are designed to remove swirls in the paint by removing a thin layer of clear, which you won't need to do. Just let the film heal itself naturally.

On the subject of yellowing, it is very well documented as being a result of microscopic particles (primarily long chain petroleum derivatives such as oil, tar, asphalt, etc) becoming embedded in the film. Put a piece on the rocker panel of a white car, drive it around (especially when rainy) and it will come into focus very quickly. It will happen anywhere on the car, but it is much faster the closer it is to the road.

The only way I know to truly prevent this (rather than just slow it down) is to have a very low surface energy on the film, preventing the particles from adhering to it. It also helps to have a highly solvent resistant clear coat on the film, so that anything that does remain on the surface after normal washing can be dissolved and wiped away. WIth Ultimate, you can even use lacquer thinner if you like without damage to the film.

Since this is a public forum, I would also add one note to those (especially consumers) not 100% familiar with paint protection film: If your car is not white or silver, you are unlikely to ever see yellowing no matter what film you use or how old it is (okay maybe some of the really early PVC stuff that turned into the color of a beer bottle, but that's been gone for a very long time). Yellowing in modern days is kind of like looking at two samples of white paint about a half a shade apart sitting side by side. If you only had one shade to observe at a time, you would be hard pressed to see the difference in the two, but when together you can easily see the difference. Two very similar shades of black is another story. Together or apart, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference.

#34 AVIOGRAPHY

AVIOGRAPHY

•  <10

25 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

I can assure you that no one here at XPEL told your installer this is normal. If it had a defect of this kind, it is indeed defective and he can return it for replacement as well as labor compensation. Any of our other installers that monitor this forum will tell you the same thing. Simply ridiculous.

I thought so too, perhaps the comment was from the distributor of the film? And sorry my post came across harsh, I no longer know what to believe anymore with the various PPF and forum posts of their pros and cons. All I can say is that I did see the tunneling marks myself and the installer is well known locally.

I am still very interested in using the XPEL Ultimate film for my car since it appears Ventureshield Ultra has somehow "changed" (and not for the better) since the company was purchased by 3M a few years ago, and 3M film is still plagued with the orange peel problem as admitted today by a local 3M distributor of the Scothguard film, so I think I am going to hold back right now to re-assess what film I would want to proceed with.

XPEL_Tim's commitment to customer and product support provided sufficient assurance for me to decide on XPEL's Ultimate film, so I wanted to circle back and let you folks know I had XPEL Ultimate film installed today by an experienced installer with close to 10 years experience who came to my house and did the work in my garage, this is his first time using the Ultimate film as he normally uses Scotchguard and Ventureshield Ultra, in fact he indicated my insistence on the XPEL Ultimate film was the reason he finally gave this film a try and he was very pleasantly surprised, the coverage was full hood, full fenders, full custom bumper, and full mirrors.

I knew it was progressing well when he literally could not stop marvelling about the product from the get-go, the only scare both him and I had was initially it looked like the piece of film he had ordered for the hood was about 1.5" too short, however he was able to stretch the film sufficiently to make it work, it looks good and time will tell if there was any negative effect from this stretching.

The install was fantastic, ALL edges were tucked, I had removed the headlights and side marker lights to make things easier for the installer which helped conceal the edges in those areas, the full bumper was done in one piece and the worksmanship is just a piece of art with zero seams, although some trimming and relieve cuts were necessary since no PPF is likely to be stretcheable to the extent necessary for a couple of areas like the lower grill openings, the relieve cuts are very difficult to spot until inches away so I am fine with that. No kit bumper pattern will ever look as good as this custom bumper install.

The installer was also shocked how workable the film was for wrapping the compound-shaped mirror housings, where he never would have tried with some of the other films, it still wasn't 100% coverage, more like 98%, but I am satisfied given how some images of the wrapped mirrors I have seen for this car looked much worse.

All in all I am a very happy customer with the finished product with XPEL Ultimate film and a good installer who worked with me to ensure my expectations are met.

Edited by AVIOGRAPHY, 25 March 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users