Photo

Waiver For Dark Film Nc? Shop Liability?

llaw laws liability tint NC c

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AdkinsTINTSHACK

AdkinsTINTSHACK

•  <10
  • Exp: 9

07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hey guys. 9+ years in business and running strong. located in NC. Recently, the DMV has been crazy rediculous on local tint shops. bout a 50 mile radius... I have been threatened for tinting vehicles too dark, with a fine, and possible closure... shew...

Anyways, I will not go too dark unless I "know" the customer well enough. But with the "heat" all over me right now, even that is sketchy.

My question is this... Is it possible to get fined, or a citation, or etc., by tinting a vehicle too dark? And if so, what are the concequences, and is there anything I can do to protect myself?
I.e. it was a show car...
it was towed in on a roll back and off road use only...
sign a liability waiver...?\

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
TINTSHACK

#2 matt@image

matt@image

•  1,000+
  • exeter

07 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I think someone mentioned by having a custy sign a liability waiver is say "I'll break the law but am not responsible for it" which with the way legal systems are they'd still kick your ass etc

#3 AdkinsTINTSHACK

AdkinsTINTSHACK

•  <10

07 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

thats kinda what I was thinkin matt... I hope there is a way to get by it. but idk what that would be. :(

thank you for the reply

#4 matt@image

matt@image

•  1,000+
  • exeter

07 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

There's alot more experienced people here than me so someone might come up with a different answer
I think if you could prove it was a show car or a car that is not being used on a public highway it will be ok.

I heard about someone in the uk where I am being charged for manslaughter as the car was involved in an accident in which someone died. The found the front side windows were tinted over the legal limit and this impaired there vision enough to suggest they couldn't see oncoming traffic etc etc

To be honest if I get asked to do it, I refuse point blank

Edited by matt@image, 07 March 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#5 TintDude

TintDude

•  Admin
  • Portland Or
  • Exp: Since '86

07 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

That's what I heard too.

They see the waiver as a written admission of guilt.

#6 matt@image

matt@image

•  1,000+
  • exeter

07 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

That's the one TD

#7 *filmslayer *

*filmslayer *
  • Guests

07 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

yearly inspection in NC as well ... you've been doing it 9yrs , you know how the games played ....

#8 AdkinsTINTSHACK

AdkinsTINTSHACK

•  <10

07 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

thanks for all the replies. I agree with all of you. And there "might" have been an inspection station that would "help out" my customers on a yearly basis, but the rope has been tightened on those guys too. Do you guys have crazy amounts of trouble with only doing lighter tint? Im not saying every car leaves my shop with 5%, but a factory match job on a truck or suv is commonplace here. Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it guys,

cheers

#9 *filmslayer *

*filmslayer *
  • Guests

07 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

my first shop was in Greensboro , was there 3 yrs and had no problem selling only legal film ...

#10 Vince30

Vince30

Grand Puba, Bedrock Water Buffalo Lodge

•  >10
  • Franklin, TN United States
  • Exp: 26

07 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

My question is this... Is it possible to get fined, or a citation, or etc., by tinting a vehicle too dark? And if so, what are the concequences, and is there anything I can do to protect myself?
I.e. it was a show car...
it was towed in on a roll back and off road use only...
sign a liability waiver...?\

(d) Violations. -- A person who does any of the following commits a misdemeanor of the class set in G.S. 20-176: (1) Applies tinting to the window of a vehicle that is subject to a safety inspection in this State and the resulting tinted window does not meet the window tinting restrictions set in this section. (2) Drives on a highway or a public vehicular area a vehicle that has a window that does not meet the window tinting restrictions set in this section

http://home.pcisys.n...nt/tint_nc.html

#11 AdkinsTINTSHACK

AdkinsTINTSHACK

•  <10

07 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

filmslayer. Thanks. that boosts my optimism. lol. quick ? for all of you guys... I use a great quality film... But! 38% just isnt cutting it on GMs especially. Most of the time they meter 31-31.5%. the next lightest vlt is 50%, which I think will look way too light for the customers liking... Are you guys using lighter than 38% film to meet or exceed the 32% cutoff?

Vince. THANK YOU! Thats some good info right there... thank you again!

#12 micro-edge

micro-edge

•  3,000+
  • NC
  • Exp: 13

07 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

filmslayer. Thanks. that boosts my optimism. lol. quick ? for all of you guys... I use a great quality film... But! 38% just isnt cutting it on GMs especially. Most of the time they meter 31-31.5%. the next lightest vlt is 50%, which I think will look way too light for the customers liking... Are you guys using lighter than 38% film to meet or exceed the 32% cutoff?

Vince. THANK YOU! Thats some good info right there... thank you again!

Are you using carbon? Everyone ive checked lately was running 33-34 with carbon 38 and I agree going to 45 or 50 aint gonna cut it. I dnt know whats up in NC but they have really cracked down on the inspectors in the past year,I try my best to do all legal but it can be tough. So far dmv hasnt messed with the tinters yet but I forsee it coming if things get out of hand with dark tint rolling around again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users