• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tintrrr

tintrrr

•  >10
  • Yuma Az
  • Exp: 25+

25 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

I get at least 3-4 calls a week from film companies I have never even heard of.I have now lost count when did all these other films come about.I am not upset its just now my competitors will use some crap that I will end up replacing in the near future and god only knows how hard that %&$# will be to remove!!!!

#2 F1windowtinting

F1windowtinting

•  1,000+
  • Texas
  • Exp: many many moons

25 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

I heard 3m makes it all

#3 Tinter24

Tinter24

•  100+
  • Exp: 2

25 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

3m makes window film now? haha. I had a customer ask if I had 3m, I showed him my post it collection

#4 smartie2shoes

smartie2shoes

•  Subscribers
  • Exp: Enuf

25 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

You need to rephrase the question because it's not clear if you are seeking to know how many makers of film product, how many brands of film product or how many companies involved in film industry, which would include shop owners through to film makers. :blink

#5 fat cat

fat cat

•  700+

25 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Here's the trend:
- There might be one more laminating factory in US and Brazil this year.
- There are more than 20 laminating factories in China, including Solargard Qingdao and possibility another US brand.
- In Korea alone, we have a few more new players with their downstream trading companies.
- Even Walmart sells Taiwanese films.

Tintrrr asked a good question, sometimes I wonder how much glass are there in the world?

#6 fat cat

fat cat

•  700+

25 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

Worse of all within intra-factory competition, mannies formed more brands and sells more in private label. You are the "exclusive dealer" in this area for MannyBrandA, and they happily sells MannyBrandB/C/D and MannyPrivateX/Y/Z to your neighbours. All of us went to bid for the same job and dealers cut throat among ourselves while the mannies protect their interests.

In the end, your own manny killed you first. hahaa

#7 fat cat

fat cat

•  700+

25 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

What is the issue troubling us? More factory or more tinters? imho, neither. It is some of the immoral managers who sow discords among our community. They are so good that some of us those don't even know that we are at the mercy of their marketing system. In the past, we talk about how good we are, when promoting a film to homeowners. Now, it is about telling custy how bad others are.

In the end, we are not competing healthy but fighting among ourselves. Fighting among ourselves have translated into belittlement of our self-worth. Pilots from different airlines wouldn't throw as much insults to one another, as compared to our trade. Will UA Pilots go around telling people that Delta's pilots are lousy? This is self-defeating. Who benefits from all these? Don't you think that we are more screwed up and less respected compared to a decade ago?

Edited by Counterpart, 25 May 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#8 tintrrr

tintrrr

•  >10
  • Yuma Az

25 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

It seems that no matter what they know how much film is going to be sold on a global scale The U.S. market makes up a very small % of this on a world scope Asia alone probably sells 3-4 times more so with this in mind are we getting the same quality attention as overseas 2nd 3m does not make film I heard solutia dyes about 80% of the worlds film including some of 3ms I heard then you have hanita, torrey,itd metalized,and a few others but who are we competing with. the problem I have is we are 10 miles from the border of mexico and I have to compete with all this grade b materials with the same names we buy here and they are way cheaper and competitors buy it without 2nd thought

#9 fat cat

fat cat

•  700+

25 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

If I may share something that might be applicable for your situation

On micro-front:
Mexico has only a laminator who don't really sell dirty cheap tints. If you think that they import from Taiwan or low-end Korea makers and ship them into US, I really doubt so, because it is not worth the trouble getting tax refunds in Mexico for small quantity of re-exported tints. Therefore, the challenge that you are facing are not unique because you are near the borders.

US is a big important market. For mid-range products, factories fetch better prices selling in the domestic market than exports. The price discrepancy lies primarily in warranty coverage which could price a film 2-3x higher because of the obsession with factory-backed warranty. You are already in this rat race but offering two choices to your customers (factory-backed warranty & cheaper quality tints without factory installation warranty) will ensure that your chances of securing a customer is maximized.

On marco-front:
imho, quality depends on who you buy from. For example, I figured that the highest quality/performance window films market is only 50% dominated by US mannies. The other half goes to niche Japanese and Korea makers. Garware is also trying to increase market share in this sector. As for demand, more than 2/3 of the world's most-expensive tints are actually sold outside US. Solargard sold most of their LX in China. I am not sure if Southwall or VDI also realized in the past that their semi-products ended up in some mega Asian distributors.

Edited by Counterpart, 25 May 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#10 tintrrr

tintrrr

•  >10
  • Yuma Az

25 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Gaware is a huge company in the world market now I know solar gard has a wholesaler somewhere in mexico and the materials are grade b and the warrenties can be made up on this side even though they are not to be brought over this side of the border I have guys trying to sell me name brands at a fraction of the cost I.e. solar gard sun tek and I have even seen madico no matter where its coming from they have to be produced somewhere and I know that no matter where its from the mannies are winning this and bidding us against each other it does prsent some challenges but I stick with 1 brand buy here and give the mannies warr. there is no need for me to offer it any other way the customer will be educated and I know its getting better these other guys are just GOING OUT OF BUSINESS ON THE INSTALLMENT PLAN but these huge companies are just getting better at creating new clients for short gains

#11 tintrrr

tintrrr

•  >10
  • Yuma Az

25 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

southwall became huper optiks and commonwealth laminators is actually 3m they have not said this publically but I am pretty sure of it cp films is solutia and hanita is gawre sun gard or itd metalized are solar gard/d t I and sun gard closed for a short time so I dont know why there are so many differant new names as I have seen pop up recently I use to know all the competators product lines now I just try to keep up with a few

#12 SnappyTint

SnappyTint

Snappy Tint

•  3,000+
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Exp: 14

25 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

There are not as many as you may think. Everyone is making everyone's film at one stage or another except for a select few.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users