Tinting with GPS/Satellite Radio

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 *JDP *

*JDP *
  • Guests

01 June 2004 - 11:55 PM

I figured this was a good place to ask this question...

Just took delivery of a '04 Accord EX 2 DR Coupe w/Navigation system.

In the handbook, it warns against using window tint that contains metallic substances, because that can block or interfere with the GPS and XM radio satellite. It says the antenna is mounted inside above the rear window shelf.

I checked with a local window tinter, and he says that he doesn't even use any window tinting film that does NOT have metallic in it, because the non-metallic films are cheap, wear poorly, fade, and do not provide as good heat and light resistance. Is that true?

Has anyone tinted a rear window on a car like the EX V6 2DR Coupe with metallic-based window film? If so, did it cause any kind of problem with the GPS or XM radio? What other kinds of material can I hope to find that won't interfere?

Thanks!

#2 *thetintshop *

*thetintshop *
  • Guests

02 June 2004 - 12:02 AM

yeah, honda really screwed up on that design didn't they? go get you a cheapo tint job, one of those $89 deals. you won't have any problems with the navigation and XM. :thumb but in 6 months, you'll have a whole new problem. :dunno

#3 *tintslut *

*tintslut *
  • Guests

02 June 2004 - 03:56 AM

get either charcool from madico , llumastar at-ch from llumar, or huper ceramic.
First 2 are cheap, last one will cost you :dunno

#4 TintWizard

TintWizard

Tint By Attain Belleville

• Ontario Canada
  • Exp: 1978 tinting assistant,glass cleaner,shop boy 1984 had own tint biz so yrs experience is somewhere in there! lol

02 June 2004 - 04:39 AM

yeah, honda really screwed up on that design didn't they? go get you a cheapo tint job, one of those $89 deals. you won't have any problems with the navigation and XM. :dunno but in 6 months, you'll have a whole new problem. :thumb

:tts However..and I'm not endorsing this ..I'll say again "I'm NOT endorsing this", but I had a customer just like you having the same concern with the same car..I tinted it with ATR Llumstar (metal components) with lifetime warranty with the understanding if it messed up his system, HE paysto have it removed...that was 5 months ago..never heard back from him (he's either too embarassed and went somewhere else to have it removed...or it really did never affect it :spit

#5 Mdog

Mdog

imacopuidiot

•  30,000+
  • Texas
  • Exp: 212

02 June 2004 - 04:39 AM

I just bought a 04 accord myself. it doesnt affect the xm I can tell you that. I have no idea about the navigation though.

#6 wndotint

wndotint

•  3,000+
  • Tulsa, OK.
  • Exp: Since '94

02 June 2004 - 05:59 AM

Isn't the antenna for the GPS/XM in the dots? Just use vinyl. I would still use a film like charcool, #m colorstable, or something similar just to be safe. How much did you spend on the car? Spend 2% of that on the Huper Optik ceramic film and you won't regret it. INSANE heat reduction and no problems with ANY signal getting through.

#7 Mdog

Mdog

imacopuidiot

•  30,000+
  • Texas

02 June 2004 - 02:48 PM

my antenna for the xm is on the roof and it works fine, I dont know where the navigation antenna is though. I can say DEFINITELY it WILL NOT mess with xm radio if its like my accord.

#8 wndotint

wndotint

•  3,000+
  • Tulsa, OK.
  • Exp: Since '94

02 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

I forgot about that little antenna they're using on the roofs for XM. Since it's mounted to metal, I doubt that metalized film will affect it.

#9 *Speedy *

*Speedy *
  • Guests

02 June 2004 - 05:48 PM

Solargards NR truegrey has a lifetime warranty on it find someone that uses solargard and can get the the truegrey line youll never have to worry about it again.

#10 Protint

Protint

Protint

•  6,000+
  • Dover, Delaware
  • Exp: 1986

02 June 2004 - 05:58 PM

Tell the local dealer that you talked to that the film industry has developed a new film now (almost over four years old) called extruded. The film has no metals in it and comes with a lifetime warranty against discoloration :lol6
Most major film manufatures carry and extruded line of film. :spit

#11 *metint *

*metint *
  • Guests

04 June 2004 - 04:24 AM

my antenna for the xm is on the roof and it works fine, I dont know where the navigation antenna is though. I can say DEFINITELY it WILL NOT mess with xm radio if its like my accord.

MDOG,

Most likely both units use the same antenna since they both receive signal from satellite.

Metallized film will disrupt radio, cell, gps, radar detector, etc. signals on a varying basis... one can never know whether the metal deposition in a film is sufficient to achieve this disruptive phenomenon.

You could always attempt an invisi-seam above the last defrost line before stripping to redo because someone has lost their signal. This breaks the conducting connection between film on the antenna and film on the defrost (signals seem to ground to chassis through the defrost unit.

Edited by metint, 04 June 2004 - 04:25 AM.

#12 Mdog

Mdog

imacopuidiot

•  30,000+
  • Texas

04 June 2004 - 04:45 AM

I will say if a person has the type antenna I have (pod on the roof) they have nothing to worry about as far as xm goes since thats its antenna.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users