Earth tilted off axis

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nautiboi73

naw, not the waether, it was mesed up already. or at least I hope not, there have been two many natural distaers as is.

and put that with the release of movies talking of the last days.. panic anyone?

So the 9.2 tilted the earth an inch and shortened the days a tiny bit. :mad

I wonder if this will affect the weather at all?

[*]238678

Are you serious?An earth quake can do that?

you have a link to the axis thing? :mad

[*]238697

Islands rise and fall as Earth throws a wobbly

By Stephen Cauchi

Science Reporter

December 30, 2004

Whole islands may have shifted dozens of metres in Sunday's massive earthquake off Indonesia, with the Earth's axis wobbling and even the length of the day altering by a fraction of a second, scientists say.

Meanwhile, computer modelling by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has shown how the tsunamis, caused by the quake, spread across the Indian Ocean, sparing Australia because of their direction of propagation.

US Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut said small islands might have shifted by as much as 20 metres due to the sudden movement of the Australian and Eurasian tectonic plates.

The magnitude 9.0 quake - the biggest since 1964 and the fourth biggest since 1900 - was centred 320 kilometres west of Medan, Sumatra.

The north-west tip of Sumatra might have shifted to the south-west by as much as 36 metres, Mr Hudnut said. "That is a lot of slip. That earthquake has changed the map," he said.

However, scientists will have to use handheld GPS (global positioning satellite) devices to establish the exact degree of shift. Some believe the land mass may have moved up or down, not sideways.

The political situation in Aceh, tsunami damage and the rescue effort will hamper measurement attempts.

Richard Gross, a geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, theorised that a shift of mass towards the Earth's centre during the quake caused the planet to spin faster by three microseconds, or three millionths of a second, and to tilt about 2.5 centimetres on its axis.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Science/Isla...l?oneclick=true

Guest nautiboi73
I have no doubt these are the last days. So many things, inlcuding recently deciphered biblical info, that the world is in it's final 6 years or so, if that :mad

[*]238688

as I feel that there is nothing that I can do to prevent it I just live that best that I can and enjoy the joys of my family

Archived