Tint Recommendations

Guest TTP

Hi All,

Could you all recommend the best solution for tinting my car? I own and Lotus Elise and live in Texas.

1) Being in Texas, I want to reduce as much heat as possible inside the cabin. I usually drive with the top down and windows down anyway but for those days 100F and above I wimp out and put to top on and use the AC. The AC in the Elise is notoriously week due to a small evaporator so cutting out any heat from the sun goes a long way in keeping the cabin cool.

2) I want the highest light transmission possible but block out a reasonable amount of heat. I h@te the look of dark tints. Ideally if there was a clear film that could cut heat transmission I'd buy it.

3) I want relatively low reflectivity

4) UVA and UVB Protection.

5) I don't like the dyed films

TIA

Guest Guest

your best bet would probably be to use a ceramic based film, like Huper Optik Stark series. Higher heat rejection without sacrificing light. I believe Stark 40% gives around 60% heat rejection. Do know though, that it does cost a premium to have such a film installed.

I agree with the above.  It is pricey though and some do not like the distortion.  Go with someone who has used it for quite awhile. 

The only alternative is a full metalized film (not the dark film)...

Good luck to ya :lol

[*]301517

Which film has distortion (v-kool or huper)? Would the V-kool or Huper (ceramic) affect my radar dector's range?

What is a fully metalized film? Isn't this really reflective?

I agree with the above.  It is pricey though and some do not like the distortion.  Go with someone who has used it for quite awhile. 

The only alternative is a full metalized film (not the dark film)...

Good luck to ya :DD

[*]301517

Which film has distortion (v-kool or huper)? Would the V-kool or Huper (ceramic) affect my radar dector's range?

What is a fully metalized film? Isn't this really reflective?

[*]301559

I had one customer who had huper put on his car he paid nearly 800 bucks, and he had gps and he said he was having trouble using it, I dont know how that could be...but....I've installed metallized films on elise and every single one of them the customer had a radar detector (wonder why :DD ) and so far no problems here.......sorry no pics...

on a sporty car like that, whatever shade you choose once its on it would actually look one step darker because of the slight factory "tint" that it carries. :lol

Guest metint
I think I'm going with V-Kool.? Problem is there aren't any authorized automotive installers in Austin Texas.? Anyone know where I can? buy the film?

[*]303095

Going to be hard-pressed getting your hands on that film... sold to professionals only, unless you find a professional to sell it to you. Then of course, there's the part about convincing another professional of your choice to put film on that you are supplying. Damm if you do, damm if you don't kind of situation.

May I suggest you find a reputable shop that can give you 40-50% total solar rejection through another film product such as, LLumar ATR charcoal, FormulaOne Pinnacle, Solar Gard, HP True Grey, etc.

You have a matchbox car compared to the norm in size... made for sport driving and not necessarily leisurely strolls with the AC running. Tint is great for creature comfort while driving, does little for long term parking heat build up and with the small amount of glass your car has..... 55, 50, 40% film is not going to be noticed in the AC use department.

Yes, VKool will disrupt radar detector by reducing its range...

Full metal film can be total mirror in appearance as well as Vkool's near invisible appearance. It's the process in which they deposit the metal that makes all the difference in the film's looks.

``````````````````````````````````````````

Tint,

Huper's ceramic may in fact cause problems with some electronics for these reasons, it contains a conductive ceramic derivative of titanium (a metal), frequency of the electronic equipment is of that able to be disrupted by HO film deposition and the density of the film used (meaning a heavier deposition).

``````````````````````````````````````````

Sprinter,

Vkool 70 has a total solar energy rejection of 55%...

Archived