removing rear view mirrors

Guest mylude90

Guest mylude90

just curious how to take off mirrors that are adhered to the windshield. I don't have to do it yet but I've had a couple of friends that was windshield strips below the legal limit and was just wondering the best way to take them off. I've fixed them for people when they fall off, but have never taken one off. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

I think you're referring to the metal base. why would you want to take that off? it's not easy, but here's the only way to do it.

set it in the sun and let it heat up. take a pair of vise grips and clamp in on. SLOWLY twist the base until it lets loose. DO NOT PULL ON IT. about half the time you will remove a chunk of glass with it, so be prepared to buy a new windshield.

just curious how to take off mirrors that are adhered to the windshield. I don't have to do it yet but I've had a couple of friends that was windshield strips below the legal limit and was just wondering the best way to take them off. I've fixed them for people when they fall off, but have never taken one off. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

BE SAFE TAKE IT TO AUTO GLASS SHOP

on the ones that have a little hole at the bottom of the mount I take a long skinny regular screwdriver, stick it up in the hole as far as it will go, they slightly twist the screwdriver, all you want is alittle pressure (there is a metal clip hidden in there)you dont have to twist like hell, at the same time wiggle the mirror while keeping pressure on the screwdriver and the thing will slide right off the mount.

its easy after you have done it a few times.

I have seen tools from snap-on and cr lawrence just for rear view mirror removal.

Archived