Illinois Tint Law

oldtinter

The bill to allow 50% film on the front doors, with 30% max film on the rear section, or a 38% film all around, or anything on the rear section and nothing on the fronts (all three options apply) has passed the house...Unanimously...vote was 117-0. :dunno Now it's on to the Senate.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think is going to happen? Lets hope for 38% right? When does this bill get signed etc moving forward?

I think the bill will pass and become law is what I THINK will happen. Senate is not in session again until April 21st. The bill will be debated there, more than likely amended a bit, then sent back to the House for final approval. A couple Senators are on board as sponsors and the Illinois EPA, State Police, and American Cancer Society are on board. Some verbiage and percentage numbers are being tweaked in the meantime to make it all a little less confusing. Part of the deal is to allow 38% all around. A bigger part of the deal is steep fines for ignorant customers and shop owners that don't follow the new rules. Out with Limo tint, in with lighter films. Learn to deal with it, and promote it. It's a good law for good shops. Lets hope it happens and if it does the hacks don't take this gift and screw it up. :bs

Because that is what the State Troopers agreed to. It's actually 35%. Not many companies make a true 35, it's mostly 38 from what I've seen. 35 can look pretty dark, I wish they would have said 40% personally, or just left it alone with our original proposal of 30/50%. We were all kind of shocked when they came into the room with all these acceptable choices. If this passes the last thing we need is the law enforcement community complaining the film is too dark. I also wanted to phase out limo tint starting with the model year 2010, but they decided that would be too confusing. I was pushing hard for a max of 20% on the rear section on passenger cars. Not many states that I know of allow that dark a film on the rear section while allowing film on the fronts on cars. The State Police were very generous with this, we better not blow it if it goes.

Good for you guys! :dunno

It makes me appreciate how generous our province is for tint laws..as dark as you want on all rear windows and vague restriction on the 2 fronts ..$100 or so fine to the owner of the car and nothing to the tinter...yet can you believe tinters STILL abuse it and put the 5% on the 2 fronts :D

That's about how it was/is here. But the continued abuse of dark films, especially on front doors has changed things. It's nuts, and makes it impossible to sell or promote film to anything but kids who want 5%. In time I bet you are going to end up in the same boat. All the abuse of dark film on the fronts by your competitors will get you there, and it ain't pretty. :dunno

Archived