Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WillTint4$

rainbow reflection.......what now???

43 posts in this topic

Second is first loser :thumb

You know we're back to front down here! :thumb

Coincidentally I had a noticed something on a job site today. I put up a neutral 45 film on a customer's sunroom.... There is a tempered sliding glass door between the main living area and the sunroom which is not filmed. I noticed rainbow of the glass as if I were looking through polarized sunglasses like I explained previously. I would assume that the coffee table is only tempered, but perhaps tempered glass has this same effect.

:rollin

I would tell the customer to enjoy the pretty colors because you can't do :rollin to fix it outside of using annealed glass for the coffee table which would not be smart :rollin

Glass "polarizes" light to a degree. Different types of glass have different characteristics. It happens when light is reflected and refracted. Light rays from a given source are scattered. They travel in all directions, and are reflected and refracted by most all surfaces. Polarization merely gets all of the rays coherent, travelling in the same direction. As light travels thru glass it is refracted and reflected between surface A and surface B, then it is further polarized by being reflected off another glass, or other reflective surface. Depending on the thickness of the glass, and the amount of times it "bounces" between surface A & B, the effect can be quite dramatic. Lami glass, for example has 6 surfaces to further bend (refract) the light.

This is an over simplification, but it gets the point across. While not true polarization (All rays travelling along the same plane, in the same direction and angle) It can be quite dramatic. A polarizing filter (some films, sunglasses, etc.) will dramatically alter the characteristics of already semi-polarized light.

WHEW!!! So.........In short, FilmBlazer is right tell the custy "I would tell the customer to enjoy the pretty colors because you can't do :evilgrin to fix it "

Edited by Key West

Did a small flat job last week. Used a new film (its a silver 50). The exposure is due west, clear IG units. The customer has a very large glass coffee table between the sofa and the filmed windows. The reflection of the filmed windows on the glass table is one big rainbow of color. The reflection before film... no rainbow . Looking at the film from inside is fine.

While sitting on the sofa watching the sun set you cant miss this swirl of color on the table. What causes this?????????? I think it looks really bad.

Tell the Custy to quit bitching! Some people go out of thier way and pay good money to "See Colors" for a little while. Now the custy has it any time they want!!! As a "side-effect"! :evilgrin:rollin:rollin

Glass "polarizes" light to a degree. Different types of glass have different characteristics. It happens when light is reflected and refracted. Light rays from a given source are scattered. They travel in all directions, and are reflected and refracted by most all surfaces. Polarization merely gets all of the rays coherent, travelling in the same direction. As light travels thru glass it is refracted and reflected between surface A and surface B, then it is further polarized by being reflected off another glass, or other reflective surface. Depending on the thickness of the glass, and the amount of times it "bounces" between surface A & B, the effect can be quite dramatic. Lami glass, for example has 6 surfaces to further bend (refract) the light.

This is an over simplification, but it gets the point across. While not true polarization (All rays travelling along the same plane, in the same direction and angle) It can be quite dramatic. A polarizing filter (some films, sunglasses, etc.) will dramatically alter the characteristics of already semi-polarized light.

WHEW!!! So.........In short, FilmBlazer is right tell the custy "I would tell the customer to enjoy the pretty colors because you can't do :lol2 to fix it "

Oversimplification?

Come on key, let's hear the whole thing! :lol2 Good post man. :lol2

Oversimplification?

Come on key, let's hear the whole thing! :lol2 Good post man. :lol2

Thanx V. Thats a compliment coming from you. I forgot to say that a plain old glass prism is a prime example of the effect of refraction to the extent it breaks light down into its component frequencies. Thus, the "pretty colors!" :lol2

Edited by Key West

I've been ta a world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the damdist thing I've ever heard.

I've been ta a world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the damdist thing I've ever heard.

:lol2:lol2:lol2

Throw in a table cloth as a free gift to the custy and all your problems go away!! :beer Now that's simple!! :lol2