Sign in to follow this  
Mpameno81

What do guys in PA do?

With the Laws and how strict they are here in PA how is it even possible to pursue a career in Auto window tinting? What do some of you guys who live here do about laws?

When it comes to me, window tinting is something I dont push very much because of it. Most of the work I do is for car dealers, and we offer many more services, which allows me to be very selective about the jobs I take. Mainly trucks/vans/suv's & subaru hatch backs ha. Out of all we do though, window tinting is my favorite, I really enjoy doing it. I'd love to one day have a shop, but with the laws, it seems nearly out of the question. thoughts?

With the Laws and how strict they are here in PA how is it even possible to pursue a career in Auto window tinting? What do some of you guys who live here do about laws?

When it comes to me, window tinting is something I dont push very much because of it. Most of the work I do is for car dealers, and we offer many more services, which allows me to be very selective about the jobs I take. Mainly trucks/vans/suv's & subaru hatch backs ha. Out of all we do though, window tinting is my favorite, I really enjoy doing it. I'd love to one day have a shop, but with the laws, it seems nearly out of the question. thoughts?

Hi Mpameno81,

PA is one of a handful of states where the legislators did a very poor job at drafting window film laws. While many US States have well written and fair window film laws, PA remains locked in the stone age. It is very frustrating on my end as well.

Penalties are rather harsh there, so you need to factor that into your decision. We do have several customers in PA whose businesses are thriving. Enforcement is very sporadic.

Even if you decide not to pursue automotive tinting, residential/commercial work is full of potential. If you have any questions or need help getting started with that, I would be glad to help.

-Howard

Guest theTintingIndustry_icon

EWF is definitely right that enforcement is sporadic. My shop is located in Maryland about 30 minutes from the PA line, so we get a good amount of PA customers because of the lack of shops in their area. Certain PA customers have no problems going limo on all the windows and then other customers get hassled with 35%. Because they have to go through inspection every year, it seems like the customers know their "inspection guy" on a personal basis, so they get away with the tint. Regardless, it seems like PA is anything goes or nothing goes.

Legalize it !!! (window film I mean ) :dunno

I so wish that was an option! According to IWFA the law has been this way since 1999, it's due for an update so I guess I'll just stay hopeful & quietly hone my skills ha. I'm a bit intimidated by commercial I have to admit, mainly cause I don't stock any of those rolls of film because of lack of demand, so when I do get a request I order the minimal to accomplish the job. Which means if I mess something up, nearly, if not all, the jobs profit goes into buying more film to replace what I screwed up in the first place. Automotive is what I like best, even tho I'm new, I'm most comfortable with that. I was just currious what other guys in this state do inspite of laws.

Legalize it !!! (window film I mean ) :twocents

I so wish that was an option! According to IWFA the law has been this way since 1999, it's due for an update so I guess I'll just stay hopeful & quietly hone my skills ha. I'm a bit intimidated by commercial I have to admit, mainly cause I don't stock any of those rolls of film because of lack of demand, so when I do get a request I order the minimal to accomplish the job. Which means if I mess something up, nearly, if not all, the jobs profit goes into buying more film to replace what I screwed up in the first place. Automotive is what I like best, even tho I'm new, I'm most comfortable with that. I was just currious what other guys in this state do inspite of laws.

Find a good distributor, and get a good education in commercial work. See what you have !!! So, if you are doing residential , and you are selling a grey 35%, you push these products continually same as you would a charcoal film in automotive. It only takes a few decent jobs before you are rotating stock , and building more and more business. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And if you have a little time, try to find a congressman or delegate to get the ball rolling on a bill to change the tint law, and find other tinters and distributors to get behind this with you.

I just strongly suggest 40% to people that want to keep thier tint on. Some people want it dark and some get away with it. Ive tinted cop cars and had cops tell me to take it off. Grey area with inspection, but most will pass you. I havent had much trouble in years and most of my customers are ok.

Hi guys, I'm new and starting up a shop in PA about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Apparently they can fine us up to 1000 per window tinted below legal limit (70% I guess is the number people say even though that's not even clear). This is actually my only concern going into this business, has anyone in PA gotten fined for tinting someones windows??? Everyone that's gotten stopped that I know is just required to take the tint off, and is never asked where they got it done but I'[m still curious.

I keep my film 20% and up.......I always get( I want my car tinted to the legal limit) people say...... I think to myself hmmmmmm......PA doesnt have a standard. the only thing I know about the law is that the person must be visable in the vehicle......

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

I don't hear of to many of my custy's getting pulled over in my area after I tint them. Unless they're driving like idiot's or have retarded loud exhaust systems. Not saying it's this way all over the state, just my area.

I do agree that they should look into this film law and change it or do something about what windows can have what film on it. And/or the authorities need to goto a class on the film law's cause every where I ask gives me a different answer.