Sign in to follow this  
elopomorph

Florida Tint Laws, Do I Have Them Correct?

I live in Florida and plan on getting my windows re-tinted this summer. I purchased the car used and it has crappy tint on it.

I have been reading old posts and can you tell me if I have the Florida tint laws correct? I have a 2004 toyota corolla four door S model. Here is what I believe to be the legal tint limits for Florida:

Two back windows and rear window: 15%.

Front side windows = 28%

So does 28% mean it allows 28% of the light to penetrate the window?

Also, I have a kid and safety is my number one priority. I want to get the darkest tint that is legal but not if it will make it more difficult for me to see cars. I would like to hear opinions on this topic. Thanks.

I'm not in FL, but most sates are a net law. That would be combined tint and glass. What your window meters after the installation of the film.

35% film on the most cars will meter @ 28-30%

So Evan, you are suggesting Illegal? That is a no no

elopomorph, the numbers you mentioned in net. Once the film is applied, that is the darkest allowed. Keep it legal

Edited by Tinitman

Personally, I bought a car that had 5% on the 2 rear windows and my visibility was horrid when checking over my shoulder for traffic.

I stripped it right off and put 35% on the rear windows.

You are correct on your FL laws. I used to apply 30% and it would meter "technically" below legal limit usually around 24-27% but most officers will allow a 5% variance. If you want to be absolutely safe just go with 35%. edit: yes I live in Knoxville but just moved here 18 months ago from Southwest FL fyi

Edited by Bizzar1

my scion had privacy glass, so i just did air 80 or whatever it was all around. Cant fathom these 5% nitwits. But i gave up being cool 40 yrs. Ago :wacko:

"Technically" the meter requires a 3 percent variable that every cop has to give you cuz the meter itself has a plus or minus 3 percent variance. I use 30 percent on fronts and it reads around 26 percent, which is legal because of the 3 percent variable they they HAVE to give you, this isn't up to the cop, this is what the people who make the meter say. Same thing for 15 percent, the law here is 16, and with the variable it can still be illegal, but that's what every one does down here and the cops don't seem to have a problem with it.

YES 28% on front 2 doors, 15% on rear doors and rear window. have tint shop apply sticker on door (under the latch) to show compliance to FL. statutes 316.2951-316.2954

STAY LEGAL  DRIVE HAPPY!