“Stek-USA”

Xpel

PremiumShield.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vdubpower

Which Film To Choose

34 posts in this topic

What is the "problem" with the Xpel adhesive that was mentioned? Does it affect mostly flat surface such hood or is it only problematic with compound curve areas?

I was at a well-respected high-end local PPF installer's shop today and saw a GT-R with Xpel clear matt film installed, there are clearly two "tunneling" marks spanning the full height of the hood from the 60" roll that was used, the installer said he was told by Xpel "this is normal" which is completely unaccpetable in these days and age, he had positive comments about the new Sun-Tek film but supply is limited at best at the moment, he also doesn't want to use Xpel film anymore based on his experience so far.

I can assure you that no one here at XPEL told your installer this is normal. If it had a defect of this kind, it is indeed defective and he can return it for replacement as well as labor compensation. Any of our other installers that monitor this forum will tell you the same thing. Simply ridiculous.

I'd also say that despite my personal issues with the Xpel adhesive, the Xpel company and it's employees have always been top notch professionally and very good to deal with. They always respond quickly to any issues a customer may have. So, if a film was installed with an issue, it should have been replaced by said installer, as it would have been covered by Xpel.

Norm

What is the "problem" with the Xpel adhesive that was mentioned? Does it affect mostly flat surface such hood or is it only problematic with compound curve areas?

I was at a well-respected high-end local PPF installer's shop today and saw a GT-R with Xpel clear matt film installed, there are clearly two "tunneling" marks spanning the full height of the hood from the 60" roll that was used, the installer said he was told by Xpel "this is normal" which is completely unaccpetable in these days and age, he had positive comments about the new Sun-Tek film but supply is limited at best at the moment, he also doesn't want to use Xpel film anymore based on his experience so far.

I can assure you that no one here at XPEL told your installer this is normal. If it had a defect of this kind, it is indeed defective and he can return it for replacement as well as labor compensation. Any of our other installers that monitor this forum will tell you the same thing. Simply ridiculous.

I'd also say that despite my personal issues with the Xpel adhesive, the Xpel company and it's employees have always been top notch professionally and very good to deal with. They always respond quickly to any issues a customer may have. So, if a film was installed with an issue, it should have been replaced by said installer, as it would have been covered by Xpel.

Norm

I went through an experience like this with the stealth film before. I contacted XPEL right away, sent photos to them for proof, and they had no problem rectifying the situation until I was 100% satisfied.

I too can assure that XPEL is top notch when it comes to any issues at all for installers.

Sounds to me that if the installer was saying that XPEL said this is normal, then that installer was lazy and didn't want to redo the faulty area(s) in question to get the problem corrected, there's no way they checked with XPEL on this....couldn't have..... I'm just sayin

What top notch shop told you this? I'll ask, cuz were all dyin to know.....

~A

I wanted to chime in, as we did the stealth install on the GTR mentioned. There is always more to the story, and there are definitely parts left out here.

Initially when I ordered a roll of 36" and 60" Xpel Stealth film I made it a point of mentioning that I would like someone to QC the product prior to shipment, because it was arriving late in the week and the install was on a tight time frame. The rolls arrived Thursday late afternoon and the vehicle arrived Friday at noon. We disassembled the vehicle, removing the Intakes, Spoiler, Mirrors, etc. We then began laying the film, and the 36" was perfect. When we went to lay the 60" on the hood we noticed vertical lines in the film, NOT tunneling, as the Stealth has no cap sheet. At that point I called Xpel(Friday) and mentioned this to them. Not able to answer what caused the lines, or if they would disappear as the film cured, and due to the fact that some panels had already been successfully installed, we continued the job. I even called Clearbra of Jax(aka Cool Dude), as he recently did a similar install, to get his feedback on the situation. We did remove the hood piece and layed a second piece to see if the rest of the roll had this defect....and it did. At this point it was past 5pm on Friday, there was no possibility of getting another roll and the customer was picking this vehicle up Sunday morning. The entire roll of 60" had this defect, so the Hood, Rear Quarters and Roof were affected. When the customer arrived on Sunday to pick up the vehicle, he was super excited, it still looked amazing!(I'll post some pics). When we went over the install with him, we did bring the lines to his attention and we mentioned that we were speaking to Xpel about it, and should they not disappear we would replace those panels. I at no point suggested this is something he should live with. Monday morning I called Xpel again and brought up this issue, I was told someone would call me back. Nobody called me back so I called a second time and spoke to a representative(I'm leaving names out on purpose), and also left a voicemail, no return call. I called again today and left another message. I finally received a call back 1.5hrs ago from Tim. he assured me that I would be sent a new roll of 60" and be credited. Following that phone call I received a call from another representative at Xpel who went through the credit process with me. Long story short, this isn't something that our company takes lightly, we didn't take any short-cuts, we definitely address things prompty and this situation is being corrected. I'm sure each and every installer has encountered a similar situation, the only thing we can do is try to correct it as promptly and efficiently as possibly, with the least interference to the customer.

Marco

www.advancedmobilegroup.net

Btw.....thanks again to Clear Bra of Jax for allowing me to pick his brain.

To everyone that has read my post directly above:

I just wanted to say that I spoke with this installer about this situation. He contacted me after seeing my comment above, and explained about what occurred during this experience.....

He was very polite and professional as any business man should be. Much more professional than what was posted above by myself.

I usually do not post such things and should not have done so.

I will also add that after finding out whom this installer was and what company this is, there's no way this installer would have said to the customer that "this is normal".

In respect to him the installer, and his company, I would like to send out my apologies for the "Lazy" comment that was made.

This industry or any installers should not be talked down upon by anyone, especially the good one's whom strive to be the best, and this installer is an example of such.

Were all here to help the industry move along in a positive way, not knock it down and I should not have said this.

I was a little irritated to hear something being said that "this is normal". Instead of waiting to find out the other side of the story, I opened up my big mouth when I shouldn't have.

To the installer, thanks for calling me out on this and contacting me...... It was nice speaking with you over the phone. And again, my sincerer apologies.

Let this post be an example of "what not to do" or "how not to post"..... I have learned a lesson, and I hope that everyone else has also learned through this as well.

Respectfully,

Adam

wow, nice to see resolution to the issue. Glad everyone was professional and used good communication to clear it all up!

Norm

I ended up deciding to get xpel ultimate, instead of the venture.

I was told the xpel will be 20percent more, but the advantage is that it is more stain resistant ( I was shown all those videos from xpels site), and that the warrenty was much better.

I was told looks wise the venture is better, but can yellow faster

I was tld tha install is easier with venture than xpel

when I asked whether its better to use a big sheet and custom cut everything versus take an oversized stensil from the computer program I was told its better to go with the latter

so I got the hood and front fenders tucked and wrapped,(150$ more) the front bumper done, front fog lights, headlights, side mirrors , A pillars, rear bumper by the trunk, window tints done with charcool, all for 2200 bucks

no idea if I got a good deal or not, but hopefully this stuff will do what its supposed to

Most people who say this aren't actually telling you the most accurate information. Ventureshield film doesn't yellow. It is actually a reaction between the isocyanate in the the paint system and the acrylic monomer in the adhesive. Typical paint jobs have 1-2% residual isocyanate solvent left in them. Whte and pearl paints typically have upwards of 5-7% and that is whats causing the issue with yellowing. The solvent gets trapped under it. It's not as common as its made out to be on the forums. Regardless, you picked a great film to use. You would have been happy with either one. Where are the pictures? we want to see how it came out.

well u cant see it enless u are close up to it, so dunno what pics will show,

the installer said that no matter what there will be small areas of nonsmoothness, I guess because of stretch

I havent really gone over it with a fine tooth comb to see, but at first glance everything looks fine to me,

Most people who say this aren't actually telling you the most accurate information. Ventureshield film doesn't yellow. It is actually a reaction between the isocyanate in the the paint system and the acrylic monomer in the adhesive. Typical paint jobs have 1-2% residual isocyanate solvent left in them. Whte and pearl paints typically have upwards of 5-7% and that is whats causing the issue with yellowing. The solvent gets trapped under it. It's not as common as its made out to be on the forums. Regardless, you picked a great film to use. You would have been happy with either one. Where are the pictures? we want to see how it came out.

PPF's destiny is to be applied to paint so to say that it doesnt yellow on the roll may be true but its irrelevant. I drive a white car with clearshield 2 years and its still clear as the day I put it on yet I did a customers white car with venture 6 months ago and the whole nose is a different color.

If its an adhesive problem why is a solution to apply sealants to the surface to prevent this yellowing. ive always read and heard that the yellowing is a lack of maintance or using incorrect waxes and cleaning products that, instead of filling the pores of the material, penetrate and dye.

There could be a number of possibilities for urethane yellowing beginning with the use of UV absorbers (the more you use the more yellow), paint solvent retains and hydrocarbons spued up by tires from road surfaces and what's comming out of exhasut pipes.

I can say most people's expectations are set way too high for what is known as a sacricficial product. I had PPF on my vehicle for almost 8 years before replacing it with the current install, which is running up on two years old. The two year old film looks the same as the almost 8 and it never saw a coating of wax or sealant once delivered back to me.

What I did note with either install; they both became lightly discolored withnin the first year and never got worse or better. When the first install was removed, the paint below had no chips; that was my goal in using the product despite it not being absolutely clear as the day it was installed. IMO, it should be everyone's goal who purchases this type product.