Sign in to follow this  
Guest TintTriad

Hid Kit Question (Bulbs)

Guest TintTriad

Looking to get into installing HID kits but I see you need different bulbs for every single car.

If the bulbs plug in directly to the ballist (The same ballist that you use on every car) and then the ballist is plugged into the car, then why does it matter what kind of bulbs are connected to the ballist?

Only need the kits to be low-beam.

Thanks!

Guest loy

Same ballast. Different bulbs for different cars. Also they come in many different color temps. Bulbs need to fit housing as they are a "retrofit".

Guest TintTriad

Same ballast. Different bulbs for different cars. Also they come in many different color temps. Bulbs need to fit housing as they are a "retrofit".

I know they are the same ballist and I know that all cars have different bulbs & temps (6000K is main I will be using) but what do you mean by "retrofit"?

Guest TintTriad

So what's the question? They are plug and play with your factory system.

Question is why can't I use the same bulbs on every car since all the car is connected to is the ballast.

Guest TintTriad

because every head light assembly will only hold a certain style bulb.

You will find that there are only about 6 or 7 really common bulb types, but they all mount to the light housing differently.

So only difference is how the bulb mounts? So if I find a way to seal them, I am fine ordering all the same bulb. (Like 20 HID kits, all H11 bulbs)?

Thanks

because every head light assembly will only hold a certain style bulb.

You will find that there are only about 6 or 7 really common bulb types, but they all mount to the light housing differently.

So only difference is how the bulb mounts? So if I find a way to seal them, I am fine ordering all the same bulb. (Like 20 HID kits, all H11 bulbs)?

Thanks

You might want to do some research on HID kits before you install them. I have seen HID lights conversions melt head light buckets before.

Guest loy

Even though you can seal them, the designers try to make it mimic the original bulbs and have where the arc in the hid capsule is in the same position as the filament would be in the housing. You'll get better output with the correct bulb. I'd never retrofit without the correct reflector/projector for hids.

Edited by loy

Guest TintTriad

Even though you can seal them, the designers try to make it mimic the original bulbs and have where the arc in the hid capsule is in the same position as the filament would be in the housing. You'll get better output with the correct bulb. I'd never retrofit without the correct reflector/projector for hids.

So there would be no way for us to keep them in stock and install same day in our shop without stocking EVERY single HID bulb for every car?