Sign in to follow this  
Jonny7

Best heat gun

On 2/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, midnighttinting said:

Old school Makitas were the best, new ones are the worst. I found that the Matcos heat gun come close to the old Makitas. You’ll get 1 1/2 years out of it, and it gets really hot 

I found my last heat gun, used, on offer up.  A pawn shop had it locally.  I showed up and it looked like it had very little use.  Worked great.  He rang it up and gave me a deal at $30.  A Milwaukee heat gun for $30.  How do you say NO to that.  6 months later it still works great.  But I do agree with Midnight.  The old school Makita guns are the best.  I still have one at home.  They usually last me for 5-6 years and I go through 3 cords before the gun fails.  

This is a new one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-8975-6-1000-Degree-Fahrenheit-Temperature/dp/B00U0WTYO6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549753613&sr=8-4&keywords=milwaukee+heat+gun

Edited by redneckj
cause

7 hours ago, redneckj said:

But I do agree with Midnight.  The old school Makita guns are the best.  I still have one at home.  They usually last me for 5-6 years and I go through 3 cords before the gun fails.  

So 2 yrs ago my Makita stopped working, I was crushed, not sure exactly when I bought it but I knew that I had it before I met my wife! ( 14yr anniversary next week)

so a long ass time. Anyway I took it a part and found the switch/circuit board was toast. Found a place to order the part from and they also had 2 cases and the important parts to build another one so I bought everything and had a brand new one and a repaired older one. Hope they will last until I find a way out of installing or retiring.

19 hours ago, Super Dave said:

So 2 yrs ago my Makita stopped working, I was crushed, not sure exactly when I bought it but I knew that I had it before I met my wife! ( 14yr anniversary next week)

so a long ass time. Anyway I took it a part and found the switch/circuit board was toast. Found a place to order the part from and they also had 2 cases and the important parts to build another one so I bought everything and had a brand new one and a repaired older one. Hope they will last until I find a way out of installing or retiring.

That is an awesome story.  Most tinters think the hotter the better when it comes to heat guns.  IMHO that is not true.  Yes, the gun needs to be hot but more important is the CFM that the heat gun produces.  The "roofing" 220 volt heat guns doesn't  get any hotter than a $20 wagner heat gun but they blow A LOT more air.  I have seen a guy shrink a Camry back glass template in about 35 seconds with a roofing 220 volt heat gun.  

This is a great heat gun for the money.  13 CFM

https://www.amazon.com/Steinel-Multi-Purpose-Temperature-Adjustable-Industry/dp/B06XDJVNWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549852449&sr=8-2&keywords=HL+1620+S

This is also a good heat gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Steinel-803-UltraHeat-Temperature-Lightweight/dp/B01MDUFTT0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549852587&sr=8-4&keywords=steinel+heat+gun

I purchase the cheapies by the case load. $14.00 each and sometimes they will last longer than the high priced ones. I have also found some of them expensive ones just don't get hot enough.