Express Window Films
Express Window Films
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wetintcars.com

FlexFilm from Georgia

80 posts in this topic

After a bit of a bumpy start, I have been stocking & installing Flexfilms since my last post. So far, it has been one of the best films I've ever worked with. Ralph is always sharing knowledge, and has done more for my biz in just a few months than any other film supplier did in years! (or at all for that matter) The products look and perform great! My clients are happy and sharing the info with their friends & family. If you haven't tried Flexfilms, you should.

I spoke with Ralph and never arrived on anything.

Ralph if your listening I would be more than willing to check your ceramic line out as I do not have a favorite yet.

Has Mr. Ralph been around as a distributer long?

Any Georgia shops buying this film? Is there a local distribution center set up there? Curious about corporate structure/stability.

Anyone have an update on PanaFlex by FlexFilims? For some it has been just a year installing and want to hear updates on the product.

Thanks

I have used Flexfilm for over a year. Although I have not had any issues with the product, Ralph has become distant and secretive. I have to wonder if I have made a mistake choosing to install these products. Panaflex 70 that I install now does not seem to be keeping out the heat like the first few boxes of the product did.

Edited by DarthShader

Hi Darthshader,

Generally speaking (not specifically about Flex or any particular film):

A loss of solar performance is something normally associated with films that use IR absorbing dyes.  Ceramic products which contain either TiN or ATO (regardless of the deposition method) will retain their performance over the long haul.  There are several threads on the board about this issue.

I am not familiar with the particulars on how that FlexFilm is constructed, but I admit that as a competitor, I am eager to learn more.  If you do contact Ralph or if Ralph does check in here, maybe we can learn more.

Thanks,

Howard

Panaflex uses ATO reduced to 150 NM. There is no dye in the product. There is no loss of performance with this product over time.

Howard,

I sometimes hear people talk about window films that use "IR absorbing dyes" like you mentioned above.  I have extensive experience with ceramic technology.  Please don't misunderstand my statement... because I admit that I do not know it all.  I have never run across a product or a manufacturer who used such a material.  I have never seen or experienced an IR absorbing dye. I have extensively interviewed many manufacturers and raw material suppliers who specialize in IR technology.  I have never run across anybody who has mentioned it, used it, or talked about it in this industry. Have I missed somebody?  I know this is a big world, but I must have left someone out??? Is "IR absorbing dye" just a myth?  Is there really a "dye" that can absorb a significant amount of that part of the spectrum? I have heard of UV blocking chemicals such as Uvanol.  I have even seen uv chemicals in sun tan lotion........ A "dye" that blocks out IR????    Could you please elaborate on this?  Is there any product that you could site as using this technology?  I don't mean to "call you out" or sound disrespectful but you certainly have more knowledge in that department that I apparently do.   I know I have just set myself up for you to put me in my place but I am not ashamed to learn something new. 

Hi Ralph,

I would never for one second think of you as disrespectful.  Please - feel free to ask me anything. 

Express has had films with IR Absorbing Dyes in it's catalogs over the years.  Keep in mind that we have been "early in the game" on many new innovations and materials.  As soon as improvements in materials & methods become available - we incorporate them.

These were all good performing films considering the price.  The loss of solar performance is very gradual and represents only a single digit loss even after 4,000 hours in the QUV..  When the TiN in the laminating adhesive became available to us, we transitioned into it.  Another improvement involved loading the nano material into the chips prior to extrusion.  We also moved toward sputtered deposition on our high end Perspective 70%.

That's great news about the ATO in the Flex.  Good for Flex and good for you.

But I have a question for you which I have never been able to find an answer to, either on or off these boards.  I cannot seem to figure out how the color and VLT is controlled with just ATO deposition.  Is ATO just coincidentally the smoky black charcoal color that matches factory tint?  Is there no dye or other coloring agent in the base polyester?  For example, the Global QDP Ceramic incorporated the tried-and true QDP color stable base film.  It does not seem that simply adding TiN or ATO in the laminating adhesive would produce that film.

So how does an ATO or a TiN dye free film get it's color?   I have no idea.  Is anyone reading this able to explain? 

Thanks,

Howard

Edit spelling.  I need a dictionary.

Edited by EWF