tintwiz.com
tintwiz.com
Sign in to follow this  
TomTint

My .02 of what this industry could use

Here is my thought through what I am seeing in the detailers world.

Detailing can tint can fall under the same kind of category that there will always be a hack that can do a job cheaper than you.  Its been that way for years and its something that people how car about the detailing trade wanted to see chance.  We came up with the IDA ( International Detailing Association).  This group is a way to start weeding out the hacks and gypsy's of the detailing world.  We have the biggest names in the industry backing the group so that we can take detailing to a formal level.  People who actually use detailing to make a living and provide from family want the trade to be a professional one and change the way the public perceives detailing. 

To be certified you need to take a basic test that asks you about the knowledge of the industry along with some how to questions. 

Phase I consists of 10 exams, 10-20 questions each, in these subject areas: Equipment, Chemicals, Glass, Interior Detailing, Leather, Paint Correction & Protection, Wheels & Tires, Prep Wash/Wash Bay, Detailing Terminology, Safety & Compliance. A passing grade is 80% and qualifies you to take the next exam.

After completing the online exam you need to also do a hand on cert as well

Phase II (the Skills Validated tests) represent the four primary categories that each candidate must demonstrate their “hands on” ability to perform. The detailer must perform each phase of the testing on their own, and meet the minimum proficiency expected in order to pass. The exam is presented in a scenario-type format to afford the detailer the opportunity to demonstrate the abilities expected of the Advanced Detailing Professional

Additionally they require continuing education each year as well.

This has really started to help change they way detailing is run and looked at.  Maybe the window film industry can start in the same direction. 

True there needs to be standards to this industry its very unstable and anyone can get fuck up the field..some guys in town charge 60-80 for a car and meanwhile the guys at a legit shop cant justify asking for 170. I think this industry does have some serious issues and for years its gone unnotices also whats up with tinters posting videos on how to do this and that. I get it but after a while anyone can just watch some videos jump in start tinting and saturate the industry. FML

Any certification or "requirement" only benefits the people selling the paper. -Search google for personal training certifications & see how many you get, each one requiring CEUs that they conveniently provide. These companies don't care about the industry, they are in it for the money. Really, check it out, bodybuilding.com click personal trainers & see the ???? storm you are pushing for. One brand of film will require cert X while another will require cert Y and so on & so on- EVEN if a certification was REQUIRED to get a business licenses (like massage therapy) That will not stop anyone, just check craigslist.

Edited by Diablo's Tint

You don't want the $50-$80 clients anyway... they will always find a cheaper way. Do you think if you told the $80 client you have certificate xyz that they will pony up $300? Why does a Mrcedes cost more then a kia? They both go to the store, haul the kids. Is one worth more because a certification? Can you tell a difference in quality, workmanship, customer service? There is your solution - conduct yourself & your shop in such a way that sets the highest standard

Edited by Diablo's Tint

how many of us have had a job that had state licensing requirements & certifications? I have & it didn't "clean" anything up. That is a business in itself - if I had my car detailed I'd look at detailers previous work, not that he took an online ceu on how to wash my wheels. Would I as a customer even know what certification held the most weight? Next wed have to start a pinned post "which certification is the best"? you honestly think that once one company started making $$ certifying tinters 10-15 certifying companies wouldn't pop up? Then we'd be talking about the $50 certifications that anyone could get, that the test was too easy & certifications are killing the tint business.

Edited by Diablo's Tint

how many of us have had a job that had state licensing requirements & certifications? I have & it didn't "clean" anything up. That is a business in itself - if I had my car detailed I'd look at detailers previous work, not that he took an online ceu on how to wash my wheels. Would I as a customer even know what certification held the most weight? Next wed have to start a pinned post "which certification is the best"? you honestly think that once one company started making $$ certifying tinters 10-15 certifying companies wouldn't pop up? Then we'd be talking about the $50 certifications that anyone could get, that the test was too easy & certifications are killing the tint business.

For example. I hold a unrestricted construction supervisors license. It required 40 hours of classroom time and a 100 question test to attain. Class room time was about 1000.00 and another 250 for the test. It also requires on going training every 2 years to keep current and active. Without it,I cannot pull permits, get sign offs, or get insurance.

For example. I hold a unrestricted construction supervisors license. It required 40 hours of classroom time and a 100 question test to attain. Class room time was about 1000.00 and another 250 for the test. It also requires on going training every 2 years to keep current and active. Without it,I cannot pull permits, get sign offs, or get insurance.

Great, does this shut the doors on people doing what you spent thousands of dollars & hours of time? All it did was add another expense to the cost of doing business legally. I understand it's nice to have, you can feel proud.... But I don't believe it will fix tint. How will we get Gila to stop selling? In my opinion the larger the barrier to entry the more hacks will do it illegally - having the state require a certification in order to obtain a business license is better but still won't fix anything. Not being offensive but to me this is the same logic as "make guns illegal, and it will stop the shootings" people that don't care about the law- don't care about the law. Or in our case, Business lic, insurance and certifications

Great, does this shut the doors on people doing what you spent thousands of dollars & hours of time? All it did was add another expense to the cost of doing business legally. I understand it's nice to have, you can feel proud.... But I don't believe it will fix tint. How will we get Gila to stop selling? In my opinion the larger the barrier to entry the more hacks will do it illegally - having the state require a certification in order to obtain a business license is better but still won't fix anything. Not being offensive but to me this is the same logic as "make guns illegal, and it will stop the shootings" people that don't care about the law- don't care about the law. Or in our case, Business lic, insurance and certifications

Yes it does shut the door on others without the liscense. It will not stop the guys who go to Home Depo and build a shed or a deck. But it stops them from building real projects. If a homeowner wants something done legally, they need to use someone with a liscense.