armolanusa.com
armolanusa.com
TonyG

Pay rate for tint employees

41 posts in this topic

Experience is probably the determining factor, $12 an hour would probably be ok for a trainee. You could pay a guy 20% and if they are a competent tinter, they will make $45k + a year as long as you're not doing $99 tint jobs. 30-35% is on the high end of what I've seen. In a cold weather climate, as a tinter, I'd rather see an option of a little lower % for warm months with an hourly back up in case it's slow.

So say I make $15 an hour or 20%, whichever is greater. In the summer I'm never making an hourly rate because my % is always higher but come January, it gets a little slow and my $15 an hour ends up being a little more than my %, I get the hourly pay.

I've been paid this way before and typically only made hourly 4 or 5 times a year. The rest were %.

:yeah motivation is good, cost of living is up, a good tech can make you money based off a percentage if they're comfortable with high end installs w attention to detail. A bad tech can cost you business and material. You will get what you pay for.

wow....do you know that when I started in this automotive aftermarket business in 1988, I was making $10?  Food for thought....

I wouldn't get out of bed for 45k a year... :nope

of course, I meant $10/hr.... :embar

I remember making I think $5.35 an hr... I think. 

But I was delivering papers making $75 a week when I was 12. 

/offtopic

Edited by Roach

We pay 30 to 40 percent......

that said my advice is charge more for your work and stay away from the big expence and big headache of employees. This is experience talking :twocents 

cheers 

Stan

Welcome to the forum :cool

18 minutes ago, flat rock stan said:

my advice is charge more for your work and stay away from the big expence and big headache of employees. This is experience talking :twocents 

It took me quite a few years to figure it out....but that is some dang good advice right there Stan. :thumb

I'm in the DMV area and I can tell you the only tinters you'll find for $10 to $15 an hour can't tint and the ones that can won't get out of bed for that. It takes a minimum of 32.5% or $29 an hour for me to go and work for someone.

wow....do you know that when I started in this automotive aftermarket business in 1988, I was making $10?  Food for thought....

Ok wasnt minimum wage 4.75 back then