Global Window Films

armolanusa.com
Global Window Films

armolanusa.com
TonyG

Pay rate for tint employees

39 posts in this topic

We don't get paid enough!!!!! I've been a tinter since 98!!!! I get 40% commission, 2 have 2 deal with I think would b the most picky of picky customers!!! What r these specs,u ripped this, u scratched this, u burned this, u broke this, why is it taking so long, why is it so quick, cuts bad, tint peeling,etc. so many things can go wrong that u have to watch for. One can only make a profit if he has a checklist that the customer sign's before even taking the keys!!! Only questions I do like, is u got me wet, and I thought the tint went in on the inside! I say we need 6 figures a year!!!!! All window tinter that knows this pain needs 6 figures a year!!!! 

On 2/9/2017 at 11:11 PM, Metro Films said:

Ok wasnt minimum wage 4.75 back then

precisely my point!  I don't know if it was 4:75. but it was definitely less than 7.  The point is....if it WAS 4.75....i was being paid double the minimum wage.  Why not stick with that math?

precisely my point!  I don't know if it was 4:75. but it was definitely less than 7.  The point is....if it WAS 4.75....i was being paid double the minimum wage.  Why not stick with that math?

Yeah i feel what your saying

On 2/8/2017 at 8:21 PM, TonyG said:

Hello,

We need to hire employees for our tint shop, what is the going rate for employees?  We are in the DC metro area, I've heard some employees make hourly $10-$12/hr plus $7-$8 per car worked, split if two employees work on a car is that about right?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

You think giving a good installer who takes care of business and you 10 or 12 buck an hour would be fare? Think about this. Most shop labor rate (mechanic, bicycle repair or automotive) is 75-140 an hour. You can't honestly believe in your heart it would be fair to give an installer 20 for a car. Average 4dr is 279 without ceramic. 14 in film, 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs for a decent job. At two hrs, shop Rae would be150, job 279, and you would have a problem giving that guy 65 or 70 buck for the job? Any decent installer that doesn't have a lot of redo or comeback is worth more than a Porsche mechanic that gets 30 an hr shop rate on commission.

do the math and keep a good installer.

279- 14 material- 65 for installer. You get 100 an hr and havent touched anything. Ceramic upgrade you get about double and don't want to pay a guy, he won't stay long.

this is the reason I have no interest in the small shop wanting to pay hourly. McDonald's will be 15 an hour across the country in July, good luck keeping them.

my three guys make about 35-45 an hour.

cheers

Surprisingly, that's how much I heard that some tint shops around my area pay, the $10-12 plus a set rate per car.  We're going to go with a commission based structure.  It looks like it's more fair and we'll be able to keep good installers that way.

Thank you everyone for your input, it is REALLY appreciated!!! 

Thanks,

Tony 

dRTINT4211 where are you located?I agree with your amount of payment to the installer. But what film are you using that is that cheap per car? Also you are getting top dollar for your jobs at that price.My area won't demand that kind of pricing. But my installers average $25-$30hr on a $50 per car pay rate.

Edited by Jake

My input, labor rate is 88$ an hour I think at work, half that is mine. Avg 4 door my labor is 125$ once again I get half. Ceramic labor between 198-220$ I'll say I still don't get paid enough because work ain't steady enough. I do have some good days. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, flat rock stan said:

We pay 30 to 40 percent......

that said my advice is charge more for your work and stay away from the big expence and big headache of employees. This is experience talking :twocents 

cheers 

Stan

Welcome to the forum :cool

yes you could be training your competition , keep your quality inhouse and control inhouse, . but if you cant tint than you don't have a choice but to hire and pay reasonably

We are currently looking for a tinter and plan on offering a commission base of at least $50 a car. With additional perks for: Windshield Visors, speed, quality etc...  If tinter is good, I can see him making in excess of $20 an hour. Considering our average window titn job is $400 / $500 

Kon