TQtinting

Pricing for Flat Glass jobs

22 posts in this topic

If this is already posted somewhere, please direct me to it. I've been doing automotive for quite a while and would like to venture into flat glass. I Have done flat glass before and a local church is interested in having me do some windows for them but I really don't know where to start. Do you guys typically just set a price per Sq ft and that's it? Or do you include labor as well? Any help would be highly appreciated. And if anyone has any pics of EWF silver reflective or other architectural films that would be awesome! Sounds to me like they would be most interested in the silver reflective I will know for sure in a few days. Thanks!

When I'm pricing my jobs, I start with a sq/ft price depending on the film they are looking for. Then I add extra if it's high ladder work, if the edges of the windows are horrible and will require extra time to clean, how far the job is away from me, etc.

If the job is small - then I have a min. amount I charge to go out. If the job happens to be super close, and super small, and for people I feel like doing a solid for, I'll lower it. I did one window in an over 55 development for some woman for 1/2 my normal min... still made it worth going out, but she was really close to me and she was happy it didn't end up costing too much for her.

But by and large, sq/ft + extra for extras.

The issue I see the most with people who don't do much in flat glass is the film. If the job is smaller, you're gonna have to order much more film then you will need. But it wouldn't be fair to put that all on the customer - it's not their fault you don't use it often. So you might have money sitting in your shop until it's used.

Just a couple thoughts. :twocents

1 hour ago, Roach said:

When I'm pricing my jobs, I start with a sq/ft price depending on the film they are looking for. Then I add extra if it's high ladder work, if the edges of the windows are horrible and will require extra time to clean, how far the job is away from me, etc.

If the job is small - then I have a min. amount I charge to go out. If the job happens to be super close, and super small, and for people I feel like doing a solid for, I'll lower it. I did one window in an over 55 development for some woman for 1/2 my normal min... still made it worth going out, but she was really close to me and she was happy it didn't end up costing too much for her.

But by and large, sq/ft + extra for extras.

The issue I see the most with people who don't do much in flat glass is the film. If the job is smaller, you're gonna have to order much more film then you will need. But it wouldn't be fair to put that all on the customer - it's not their fault you don't use it often. So you might have money sitting in your shop until it's used.

Just a couple thoughts. :twocents

Thank you for the useful feedback like always @Roach

That's kind of my main concern! I've got all the start up money that I need to officially open my business but I don't want to put a big chunk of it towards a job that isn't going to pay for itself, or have money sitting on the shelf either. 

Either way, I hope it can be done and be worthwhile. Otherwise I'll probably have to turn it down. 

Most film manus offer 25ft rolls... so you wouldn't have a ton of money sitting.. depending on how big the job is. It's def. worth at least checking out and trying to make it work. There is decent money in FG, so I would try and be able to offer that along with the cars. One plus is you don't have to stock film. You can.. but you don't need to. I order most of my film on a per job basis. Most it takes is 2 days to get in a roll... so if someone books a job, very few, if any, will want it done the very next day. At least none of my customers have ever asked for it to be done that soon.

I went and checked out the job I'd be doing for them and I will need just under 90 ft of film. So luckily I I won't have to eat any material cost with a 100 ft roll. And I believe it is going to work out where I will score the job! Spent the past couple of days figuring out pricing and wrote up a great looking estimate. Will keep posted and put up some pics when the jobs done!  

Also, think we've finally came to conclusion on using the Dual Reflective Night View film from Express. Nice looking film from everything I have seen. 

Do you know how to back roll and snap film?   

Very cool! Glad it's gonna work out for you. :thumb

9 hours ago, Ryker said:

Do you know how to back roll and snap film?   

Back roll yes, what do you mean by snapping? 

1 hour ago, Roach said:

How big are the windows?

The majority are 32x30 and then the two doors off the top of my head were 72" by 32".