Xpel
suntekfilms.com
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
spacer
Sign in to follow this  
Istcian

Heat shrinking

Hi all does heat shrinking gets hard as the darkness of tint goes up? 5% would be harder to heat shrink compared ton35% ??

was doing 5% today and got a couple creases and the hard card was feeling like it’s rubbing against the film. It was Suntek carbon 5%.

cheers

Edited by Istcian

I believe that film is the same thickness no matter darkness.  In that it shouldn't matter or make a difference in shrinking.  Some film the 5% is thicker and that woild make a difference. 

If the thickness does change, it would be in microns not mils. Hardly noticeable.

The difference comes with the way the shades react to the heat of the heat gun.  5% definitely acts different than a 70% when shrinking.  Hence the reason Ceramic film is harder to deal with and shrinks differently.   

I have not encountered a film that I find "hard" to shrink other than some junk that Dragon was selling before they got into any "real" film.  Any normal name brand film has just laid down for me.  Even some ceramic years ago when I first met Stan at Solar Control in STL.  Richard pulled out this "house" ceramic that a guy said would NOT shrink.  It was a little slower than Global QDP or HP but it still shrank right down for me.....

So, with the right techniques I don't think most films will make a difference.  A 1/2 mil difference I could see being different, microns I don't think the average person would ever notice.  Some of us that are very precise and pay attention to everything might see it though....

Wasn’t doubting your super expert shrinking skill. :notwrthy  Just trying to help the OP understand why the films act the way they do.  

A 70% film will not shrink the same as a 5% film due to the fact that they react to heat differently.  :thumb 

21 hours ago, Bham said:

Wasn’t doubting your super expert shrinking skill. :notwrthy  Just trying to help the OP understand why the films act the way they do.  

A 70% film will not shrink the same as a 5% film due to the fact that they react to heat differently.  :thumb 

Sorry,  was just saying that I think technique makes more difference than darkness of a particular film.  

Very minute difference in the 70 to 5. I would think at least. 

Guest Istcian

Spoke to Suntek, returning the film they reckon it might have been a bad batch.🤦‍♂️

@Ryker  Agreed on the technique.  Once you get used to how your film works, it becomes much easier to deal with any of the shades.  BUT, if you use the same heat and same distance from the film, the 70% will shrink differently and roast itself quicker than the 5% will.  It's all in the learning curve of using a heat gun.  :thumb