Jump to content
Patterns.3M
spacer
“Patterns.3M”
spacer
WearTheFoxHat

Maybe this PPF stuff will catch on !!!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, TomTint said:

I hate the stuff. ..for every1 reason it's good, there are 3 it's not.

 

- someone who probably can't install.

 

good looks for the ppf world. If anyone wants to look more into that car it was done by Eric and team at Envious Detailing in CA.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, highplains said:

Can you expand on your thoughts here?

The ppf mfrs would like you to think that it adds value to your car. In fact it does not. Calculate the initial cost to instal. Then deduct what you are secretly being penalized at trade in time to remove the stuff from a dealer, and it easily adds up to north of 2-3k. Now add in the possibility of the paint coming off with the old PPF .. or the ppf itself coming off in pieces the size of your fingernail in the future.. and that number easily doubles.. or more. Dealers like to sell it on new cars because they get to step on it and add gross to their sale. That same dealer hates seeing the car come in on trade or have to bring it to auction with ppf.

 It’s s suckers bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Butch said:

 

- someone who probably can't install.

 

good looks for the ppf world. If anyone wants to look more into that car it was done by Eric and team at Envious Detailing in CA.

Lots of things in this world I can’t do.. like fly jets, perform heart surgery, cure Alzheimer’s, roof a house.. but ppf.. I can do. ..and still believe it’s snake oil. 

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, TomTint said:

The ppf mfrs would like you to think that it adds value to your car. In fact it does not. Calculate the initial cost to instal. Then deduct what you are secretly being penalized at trade in time to remove the stuff from a dealer, and it easily adds up to north of 2-3k. Now add in the possibility of the paint coming off with the old PPF .. or the ppf itself coming off in pieces the size of your fingernail in the future.. and that number easily doubles.. or more. Dealers like to sell it on new cars because they get to step on it and add gross to their sale. That same dealer hates seeing the car come in on trade or have to bring it to auction with ppf.

 It’s s suckers bet. 

 

 

I suppose that could be true. I wouldn't say the same for the exotic community when you have paint that is one off. or the panels that cost thousands of dollars to repaint. for a 500k car a 10k ppf job is worth it. But you do still run the risk of peeling paint regardless of price tag, though when the film goes on these cars they don't come off/see the sun etc. Depends what area of the market you're on.....

Share this post


Link to post

I am still on the fence on whether I am going to start installing PPF or not. :dunno While yes, SOME people are willing to spend money on it, and the dealerships just add it into the bottom line on a sale, the other side is.   Talk to any bodyshop that has to deal with removing PPF on a regular basis.  They will quickly tell you how much they HATE that stuff.  I've seen the best on the market look horrible, after a few years.  Especially the partial hood jobs.  Again, another point.  The partial hood and fender jobs look like crap after a little while and are still just as hard to remove.  Most people will not pay for a full hood and fender wrap due to the cost.  

 

@Butch  The hi end customers don't worry about how much they are spending on something they "" think "" will make their investment better.  Blinded by some of the upsides to PPF, they will lay down the money and regret it later.  Only difference is they can afford to regret it where the general customer cannot.   :twocents  

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Bham said:

I am still on the fence on whether I am going to start installing PPF or not. :dunno While yes, SOME people are willing to spend money on it, and the dealerships just add it into the bottom line on a sale, the other side is.   Talk to any bodyshop that has to deal with removing PPF on a regular basis.  They will quickly tell you how much they HATE that stuff.  I've seen the best on the market look horrible, after a few years.  Especially the partial hood jobs.  Again, another point.  The partial hood and fender jobs look like crap after a little while and are still just as hard to remove.  Most people will not pay for a full hood and fender wrap due to the cost.  

 

@Butch  The hi end customers don't worry about how much they are spending on something they "" think "" will make their investment better.  Blinded by some of the upsides to PPF, they will lay down the money and regret it later.  Only difference is they can afford to regret it where the general customer cannot.   :twocents  

#snakeoil. 

Share this post


Link to post

I purchased an old Chevy SSR 3 years ago from Green Bay and had to drive it back here to TX.  One thing that sealed the deal for me was when the guy mentioned the full front end had clear bra on it.  I knew it would be protected on the long road trip.  

 

You say it doesn't add value, but it's not supposed to add value, it adds protection from chips and bugs and other things that could damage your paint and in my case it added "desirability".   Call it snake oil if you want too but it has saved my hood and bumper from certain debris as I drive it regularly and I'm grateful for that especially on a limited production vehicle where replacement parts are very hard to come by.  

 

BTW when i was ready to replace it, it peeled off with no issues and just a little adhesive to clean up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×