armolanusa.com

tintwiz.com

“Patterns.3M”
Xpel

suntekfilms.com

armolanusa.com

tintwiz.com

Patterns.3M

I just recently switched to Llumar tint and am having trouble with the film curling or rolling in on itself. As soon as I pull the liner off, the film wants to curl up. Anyone had this issue? I’m coming from xpel film and never had this issue 

I've dealt with it for 15 years, :dunno occasionally I'll get a roll that wants to go full on fruit roll up. But it's still manageable, I'm told a little curl is helpful for install but my experience with other films is minimal so I can't really offer a comparison.

2 hours ago, highplains said:

Just out of curiosity why the switch? I've heard good things about Xpel's film. Sorry I don't have any insight on the curling issue as I've never used Llumar beyond a sample. 

I went to a new dealership and that’s what they use.

2 hours ago, no ma'am said:

I've dealt with it for 15 years, :dunno occasionally I'll get a roll that wants to go full on fruit roll up. But it's still manageable, I'm told a little curl is helpful for install but my experience with other films is minimal so I can't really offer a comparison.

I had to reprint out like every window my first day because it kept fruit roll upping on me. I think because it’s thinner then it doesn’t keep its shape as well and it’s rolled onto the core opposite. I definitely think the curl makes it more difficult than easier but maybe I’ll get used to it

The last time I was inside the plant at Martinsville EMN had all kinds of engineers on the curl problem that has plagued LLumar for years. That was 3.5 years ago. Ya think maybe those high dollar engineers have earned their money?

I'm not much of an engineer but I do listen, observe and learn. I know LLumar has always been very selective about their polyester when it comes to location on the massive polyester mfger roll (I want to think their rolls are 28 feet wide). I also know many of the coating and dyeing processes can stretch the polyester more than it's original state when bought from their supplier. Then came 72 inch film availability and with that a serious uptick in curl issues. When film was returned because of curl, the likelihood it originated from a 72 inch roll of substrate was exponentially higher than those originating from 60 inch substrate. It was cast aside for training supply. That's what I did for close to 16 years there. But hey, what does a guy like me know about the engineering of window film.

LLumar's scratch resistant coatiing (SRC) is also a contributor. It is hyrdrophilic (has a strong affinity for water); absorbing and causing the SRC to expand like a sponge as it sits on water for longer than a couple minutes. The longer the SRC is exposed to water the more curl it can produce in the product.

Curl at LLumar is the indisputable and the epitome of a 'gremlin in the machine'. It comes and goes without warning.

59 minutes ago, smartie2shoes said:

The last time I was inside the plant at Martinsville EMN had all kinds of engineers on the curl problem that has plagued LLumar for years. That was 3.5 years ago. Ya think maybe those high dollar engineers have earned their money?

I'm not much of an engineer but I do listen, observe and learn. I know LLumar has always been very selective about their polyester when it comes to location on the massive polyester mfger roll (I want to think their rolls are 28 feet wide). I also know many of the coating and dyeing processes can stretch the polyester more than it's original state when bought from their supplier. Then came 72 inch film availability and with that a serious uptick in curl issues. When film was returned because of curl, the likelihood it originated from a 72 inch roll of substrate was exponentially higher than those originating from 60 inch substrate. It was cast aside for training supply. That's what I did for close to 16 years there. But hey, what does a guy like me know about the engineering of window film.

LLumar's scratch resistant coatiing (SRC) is also a contributor. It is hyrdrophilic (has a strong affinity for water); absorbing and causing the SRC to expand like a sponge as it sits on water for longer than a couple minutes. The longer the SRC is exposed to water the more curl it can produce in the product.

Curl at LLumar is the indisputable and the epitome of a 'gremlin in the machine'. It comes and goes without warning.

Strange.....when I had problems with curl and Eastman films....they said they never had anyone else complain..and I was the only one.....lol

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.