“Patterns.3M”
Xpel
suntekfilms
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
Patterns.3M
Xpel
suntekfilms.com
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
MT1

First Cracked Window in over 25 years !!!

Recommended Posts

1351846626_teslacrackwindow.jpg.8b42707ed35a41efcf1708d72a47c389.jpgThis is a 2019 Tesla Model 3.  I was not aggressive with heat did not even squeegee to hard. The film had even been on the car for over 30 min before that crack appeared.  As I finished hanging all the film I came back with a microfiber to clean everything up and literally watched it appear from the inside. The contractor I was doing this for just about had a heart attack when I had to call and tell him what had happened ( understandably so ). Lucky for us all the customer was about the coolest guy you could ever meet. Long story short everything worked out ok in the end. The customer is cool contractor is cool and I live to tint another day.

Edited by MT1

Share this post


Link to post

I gotta say that I don’t think that was your fault.  The origin of the crack seems to be beyond the frit, which leads me to believe there was damage elsewhere and that tinting just exposed the prior problem.  

 

This is seems to have been done by installing interior trim that is against the glass.  Or by some foreign impact that was in the edge of the actual glass piece.  

 

Much like moving a crack in the windshield with heat and an ice cube, this is the same aspect that exposed a flaw that you did not cause.  Window tint rarely causes automotive glass to break unless there was a prior problem. 

 

Just my two cents.  :beer 

Edited by Bham

Share this post


Link to post

This is the reason I wont tint the bg on the 3 anymore. I also wont tint the windshield on any of them.  I hear many thinking this company will fold soon.  

 

The glass on these is defective by design.  Google it and you’ll see. 

Edited by pbalentine

Share this post


Link to post

Tesla isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. At least IMO, which isn't based on anything. I just don't see it happening. But who knows.. stranger things have happened. :dunno

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Bham said:

I gotta say that I don’t think that was your fault.  The origin of the crack seems to be beyond the frit, which leads me to believe there was damage elsewhere and that tinting just exposed the prior problem.  

 

This is seems to have been done by installing interior trim that is against the glass.  Or by some foreign impact that was in the edge of the actual glass piece.  

 

Much like moving a crack in the windshield with heat and an ice cube, this is the same aspect that exposed a flaw that you did not cause.  Window tint rarely causes automotive glass to break unless there was a prior problem. 

 

Just my two cents.  :beer 

Everyone else I have spoken to says the same thing.  I'll take your two cents all day long!

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, pbalentine said:

This is the reason I wont tint the bg on the 3 anymore. I also wont tint the windshield on any of them.  I hear many thinking this company will fold soon.  

 

The glass on these is defective by design.  Google it and you’ll see. 

I have to be honest, I do plan on declining any further model 3's from this point forward. I do not think it's worth the hassle. And I have to be honest again, I agree with Roach the Tesla is not going anywhere any time soon.

Edited by MT1

Share this post


Link to post

If I am seeing the picture correctly, that crack is on the inside and not the outside correct? If so that really sucks as that leaves you on the line for a replacement. I can count on less than 5 fingers the glass I have broken in 32 years, but the other day we did a windshield on a Honda Odyssey and a week later it comes back with a broken windshield on the inside and broken in an absolute circle..a perfect circle as if I had put a gigantic coin on the inside and traced around it. I had to replace it as I couldn't come up with an explanation as to why or how. 

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Sunbreakers said:

If I am seeing the picture correctly, that crack is on the inside and not the outside correct? If so that really sucks as that leaves you on the line for a replacement. I can count on less than 5 fingers the glass I have broken in 32 years, but the other day we did a windshield on a Honda Odyssey and a week later it comes back with a broken windshield on the inside and broken in an absolute circle..a perfect circle as if I had put a gigantic coin on the inside and traced around it. I had to replace it as I couldn't come up with an explanation as to why or how. 

Correct, it was the interior glass that cracked. I don't think it matters which if it was inner or outer they would probably hung me with it because it came out of the shop with a crack where none existed when it came in. I don't honestly see how I could have done anything to crack it besides the pressure applied to squeegee it out. 

 Now when it comes to that odyssey you did,  when that vehicle left your care if no broken glass existed how could it possibly been your fault !?  Why would you need an explanation on how that happened while someone else was in possession of the vehicle ?  I would have fought that hand tooth & nail. Sounds like BS to me.

 Either way broken glass sucks!  This was my first one my entire career. 

Edited by MT1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, jh812 said:

Yeah I agree with that, don't believe I would've taken care of that. At best maybe offer a free installation on the new tint. 

And that " at best " would be a FAR stretch for me. I don't mean to give a customer a hard time but I just don't understand the whole make your problem my problem mindset when I have done absolutely nothing wrong. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.