“Patterns.3M”
Xpel
suntekfilms
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
Patterns.3M
Xpel
suntekfilms.com
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
pbalentine

Not tucking film anymore

Recommended Posts

Im getting to the point where I rarely tuck. I’ll pull the seal and/or panel if the sides stick out, bottom seal is tight, and if its a removal or the felt is deteriorating. I also do it for ease if I can do it fast. Most all vehicles now fall in these categories, so Im to the point of just never tucking. The few times i do now it just irritates me, especially since I dont do it as much and lose my edge doing it. 

Edited by pbalentine

Share this post


Link to post

I used to pull seals out and remove panels on pretty much everything, now I offer the customer to do the installation one or two ways, top load or bottom load. They are gonna pay me more for any removal and reinstall but get a way higher quality job with less prone to peeling. If they want to be cheap then so be it. I tuck it and out the door it goes. No warranty for peeling from the bottom and if there's a little extra dirt in the installation or creases from doing the tucking method then you get what you pay for. time is money, if anything peels from the bottom I charge a fee for doing it the way I wanted to do it the first time. No more free bee's around here.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, dan_kohan said:

I used to pull seals out and remove panels on pretty much everything, now I offer the customer to do the installation one or two ways, top load or bottom load. They are gonna pay me more for any removal and reinstall but get a way higher quality job with less prone to peeling. If they want to be cheap then so be it. I tuck it and out the door it goes. No warranty for peeling from the bottom and if there's a little extra dirt in the installation or creases from doing the tucking method then you get what you pay for. time is money, if anything peels from the bottom I charge a fee for doing it the way I wanted to do it the first time. No more free bee's around here.

Cool idea for making the bottom load an upsell.

Share this post


Link to post

 

yeah, I just had to change a few things up this year. I'm getting old and I was realizing how much more time it was taking me to remove and re install seals and door panels especially on certain types of vehicles. It only makes sense to charge a little bit extra for the time it takes to do the job you want to do it. Even an extra 25.00 to yank seals out that only takes an extra 2-5 minutes can help out in paying over head and stuff like that in the long run. sometimes I will charge an extra 50.00 - 100.00 for door panel removal and reinstall, all it comes down to is how much longer is it going to take you and charge accordingly. 

 

I even have large wall stopwatch clocks mounted in my bay to time my jobs. If someone is only paying me for an hour and a half of my time then I definitely keep an eye on the clock and make sure I get it out the door within that time they are paying me for. I'm busy enough so I don't need to be bending over backwards for cheap customers anymore and spending twice as long on their vehicles than what they are paying me for while they sit and wait then have the nerve to keep asking me how much long longer until it's done. so annoying. 

Edited by dan_kohan

Share this post


Link to post

Im going to start tucking more on the easy ones. Ive even been pulling just the front and tucking the back if i can. I have been mainly pulling stuff on the easy ones to get better at removing stuff and from just getting bored. Now I can get most panels or seals off in about 15 seconds to 2 minutes probably. Just comes down to  choosing which method is quicker, cleaner and less aggravating. 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, pbalentine said:

Im going to start tucking more on the easy ones. Ive even been pulling just the front and tucking the back if i can. I have been mainly pulling stuff on the easy ones to get better at removing stuff and from just getting bored. Now I can get most panels or seals off in about 15 seconds to 2 minutes probably. Just comes down to  choosing which method is quicker, cleaner and less aggravating. 

 

If i can't just pull back the top and pull the seal out easily, i use the Xpel EZ-Tint tool to bottom load. I used to use the Gasket Wizard every now and then but one day i tried this, another new tool, and actually liked it instead of just being distracted by it (you know the deal with that lol). They should make a small, mini or short 6" version with more bend for tuckers because the notch on the ends open the vertical rubber pretty decent when needed.   

image.png.18b0cd905429e378f3dd7f58985c54c3.png

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On April 5, 2019 at 9:48 AM, Tint Slayer said:

If i can't just pull back the top and pull the seal out easily, i use the Xpel EZ-Tint tool to bottom load. I used to use the Gasket Wizard every now and then but one day i tried this, another new tool, and actually liked it instead of just being distracted by it (you know the deal with that lol). They should make a small, mini or short 6" version with more bend for tuckers because the notch on the ends open the vertical rubber pretty decent when needed.  

 

They do make a mini version. It may not be to market yet but I have seen videos of it on FB from Dean Mitchell, he is their pattern guru.

Edited by ErieTint

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, ErieTint said:

 

They do make a mini version. It may not be to market yet but I have seen videos of it on FB from Dean Mitchell, he is their pattern guru.

Have you used the full version of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.