tintwiz.com
“Patterns.3M”
Xpel
suntekfilms
armolanusa.com
spacer
tintwiz.com
Patterns.3M
Xpel
suntekfilms.com
armolanusa.com
spacer
dbdreams

Benefits of tinting over factory tint ons trucks, SUVs and vans

Recommended Posts

Can anyone direct me to a well written article explaining the benefits of tinting over factory tint on trucks, SUVs  and vans?

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, dbdreams said:

Can anyone direct me to a well written article explaining the benefits of tinting over factory tint on trucks, SUVs  and vans?

 

 

   Benefits....very few... Unless your customer for some reason wants them darker......Tidays factory glass, both tinted and "clear" are incredibly efficient at reducing UV and SHG. A couple years ago a neat little affordable meter came out that had mfrs chitting  bricks. As it became incredibly easy to test solar performance.....and expose written inconsistencies. 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, I did not realize that. I was under the impression that factory glass offered nowhere near the benefits of what we had to offer.

Share this post


Link to post

Anything we do to the rear half is going to be an added benefit for heat and privacy (depending on film). To say that it's not going to help is just asinine. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, dbdreams said:

Wow, I did not realize that. I was under the impression that factory glass offered nowhere near the benefits of what we had to offer.

 

 

 In most cases it is negligible.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, TomTint said:

 

 

 In most cases it is negligible.

I would have to respectfully disagree. While a factory tinted window is indeed already shaded, that does not translate to energy efficiency as the heat rejection can be very poor given that perhaps not all but many vehicles have no UV properties in that coating other than the minimum required by federal statutes for automobile glass. My customers are very very content to have me use a very light ceramic film in the rear of the vehicle and find, as I have  personally experienced, that it makes a big difference on heat rejection without adding much darkness to what is there. An 80-50% film is a very noticeable improvement and is a market we can honestly serve. 

Edited by Sunbreakers

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Sunbreakers said:

I would have to respectfully disagree. While a factory tinted window is indeed already shaded, that does not translate to energy efficiency as the heat rejection can be very poor given that perhaps not all but many vehicles have no UV properties in that coating other than the minimum required by federal statutes for automobile glass. My customers are very very content to have me use a very light ceramic film in the rear of the vehicle and find, as I have  personally experienced, that it makes a big difference on heat rejection without adding much darkness to what is there. An 80-50% film is a very noticeable improvement and is a market we can honestly serve. 

  

  Glad to hear you have a product that is working for you. 

On the flip side of this is that today's auto glass that is on all new cars IS incredibly efficient at blocking heat.. incredibly.. This is due in large part to auto mfrs needing to meet CAFE standards for pollution as well as MPG requirements. ..."I.E. the less the AC is running ..the better the MPg is going to be..the less pollution from the tail pipe."  

 If you have the ability to actually test the glass via a new fancy meter .. you will be amazed....and shocked at how good factory glass really is. Some auto mfrs ( German ) ones in particular..but some domestic.. have laminated glass on the rear , sides and windshield. 

 All of which reduces virtually all of UVA ..and B.. so if you are installing a ceramic 80 or 90, and that film has a TSER of say... 40%.. on factory tinted glass that has a TSER in the 70% range.. that leaves you reducing 40% of 30% .....net 12% more TSER...= negligible 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, TomTint said:

 

 

   Benefits....very few... Unless your customer for some reason wants them darker......Tidays factory glass, both tinted and "clear" are incredibly efficient at reducing UV and SHG. 

This philosophy would seem to come dangerously close to negating what I do for a living...what we all do..... as we would only be left with those customers who want to darken their windows..they already have the benefit of such "efficient" UV and SHG rejection as to negate window film in it´s current state for vehicles it would seem. We progressed past the 80´s and 90´s era of the typical scenario where darkness was almost the only determinate of performance to where we are now mostly due to the need for better performance. It is true that glass has become more efficient, but we need to realize that these films today are where they are because we and our customers expect a much greater enhancement over oem performance as  the oems have not reached on their own where we can take them. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, TomTint said:

  

  Glad to hear you have a product that is working for you. 

On the flip side of this is that today's auto glass that is on all new cars IS incredibly efficient at blocking heat.. incredibly.. This is due in large part to auto mfrs needing to meet CAFE standards for pollution as well as MPG requirements. ..."I.E. the less the AC is running ..the better the MPg is going to be..the less pollution from the tail pipe."  

 If you have the ability to actually test the glass via a new fancy meter .. you will be amazed....and shocked at how good factory glass really is. Some auto mfrs ( German ) ones in particular..but some domestic.. have laminated glass on the rear , sides and windshield. 

 All of which reduces virtually all of UVA ..and B.. so if you are installing a ceramic 80 or 90, and that film has a TSER of say... 40%.. on factory tinted glass that has a TSER in the 70% range.. that leaves you reducing 40% of 30% .....net 12% more TSER...= negligible 

I agree that the OEMs are much better at what they do with glass and your reasoning is very sound. However, I have very very few what I would call average affordable vehicles with laminated glass on the rears if memory serves me and I think that these cases you reference are the exception and still a ways out from being the norm for most vehicles. So I conceed your point as I have a few fancy meters myself and have tested laminated glass to understand the prevalence of use given what seems to be a decrease in durability...fragile...Think F250 and they are much better at efficiency and noise reduction, but I would still disagree with your overall conclusion that even a small increase of any variable is negligible enough to be worthless. We have seen that going from one shade to maybe a shade or two darker/lighter can make a noticeable difference. Just my humble opinion and I appreciate yours..

Edited by Sunbreakers

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Sunbreakers said:

This philosophy would seem to come dangerously close to negating what I do for a living...what we all do..... as we would only be left with those customers who want to darken their windows..they already have the benefit of such "efficient" UV and SHG rejection as to negate window film in it´s current state for vehicles it would seem. We progressed past the 80´s and 90´s era of the typical scenario where darkness was almost the only determinate of performance to where we are now mostly due to the need for better performance. It is true that glass has become more efficient, but we need to realize that these films today are where they are because we and our customers expect a much greater enhancement over oem performance as  the oems have not reached on their own where we can take them. 

  

 

  Agree. ..but the truth of the matter is that the tint industry has lagged far behind the glass industry for decades. They have always been and likely always will be the red headed stepchild. While film has gotten "better" in the past 8-10 years...the OEM glass had quadrupled in advancements..thus the film biz is once again behind the curve. 

 Remember..the glass industry has HAD to improve and become pro active due to federal efficiency mandates ..they either improve or they are out of business. 

 The film industry has always been re-active...wait and see type mentality... by the time they react..it's already too late.. 

been that way for decades... nothing is going to change. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now