Xpel
suntekfilms
armolanusa.com
spacer
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Timothy J

Tinting a Full Semi

Guest Timothy J

I work in Naples, FL. I have an opportunity to do over 1,000 Semi Fleet trucks. The full windshield(84 inches wide), all 4 front windows,(18×34 per window) and the back window(18×64) need to be done on every one. Some need film removed. I will have to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. For 7 months straight while getting at least 6 Full Semis done daily(I will be the only installer). I am offered $25 a hour and will have to travel from Naples, to as close as Miami, to as far as Pensacola, FL. No insurance offered through the company, no benefits, etc. I will be expected to work outside only regardless of the weather occurring. Is there anybody else that would even taking thos job on for only $25? They will pay for hotels, but I will now have to eat out 7 days a week, have a baby on the way(Due in 3 months) and a puppy that would have to travel location to location. I feel as if $25 a hour is nowhere near enough for the amount of work being required.

Guest tinter

I would not, but sure someone would

Wow this sounds like a train wreck  :krazy    

I used to travel all over Florida, stayed in one spot 3 to 4 months at a time and then on to the next location.  If you get something with a kitchenette it makes life much easier to save on eating, but the major problem is the dog.  Finding somewhere cheap enough to make this worth it that will accept a dog is going to be tough.  The ones that will accept animals for any length of time are more expensive, therefore blowing your budget. Even if they are paying for the hotel, what if they won't pay for one that will accept a dog.  Now you have to board it or cover the cost out of your pocket. 

Are you paying for (providing) film ? or are they covering that ?   

Working outside all the time ?  there's another issue.  

I've done enough semi truck tinting to know that it's a lot bigger pain than it seems to be.  

Compensation for milage should be in there somewhere. 

Taking a job that will have you that far away from a newborn for that long (you can't finish it before the baby arrives),,,, are you ready for that ?  

Is it really that much money in the end and going to be worth the headaches ?  

Not sure of your current job situation, but if it's anywhere close to this amount of money in the end,,, I would pass on this and let someone better suited for it take the headaches.  

Refer back to the first sentence.  

This is just my two cents :twocents and am only trying to give you some things to consider.  

Good luck to you whatever you decide. :beer   

Edited by Bham

Call somewhere and ask how much to tint one of those trucks, times that by a min of 6 and that's about how much they're saving by paying you $25/hr.

At the very least throw a hail mary and say you need more like $45-50 hr based on all you mentioned. Especially if you're gonna walk away from it for the $25, maybe tell them 45, but maybe settle for $35 if that's still do-able for you. Always ask for more, that 10 seconds of awkward conversation can dictate a lot of future income.

3 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

Call somewhere and ask how much to tint one of those trucks, times that by a min of 6 and that's about how much they're saving by paying you $25/hr.

At the very least throw a hail mary and say you need more like $45-50 hr based on all you mentioned. Especially if you're gonna walk away from it for the $25, maybe tell them 45, but maybe settle for $35 if that's still do-able for you. Always ask for more, that 10 seconds of awkward conversation can dictate a lot of future income.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ceb2e685-e2fb-411a-90b9-f0ed9cdbe67a

6 hours ago, Guest Timothy J said:

I work in Naples, FL. I have an opportunity to do over 1,000 Semi Fleet trucks. The full windshield(84 inches wide), all 4 front windows,(18×34 per window) and the back window(18×64) need to be done on every one. Some need film removed. I will have to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. For 7 months straight while getting at least 6 Full Semis done daily(I will be the only installer). I am offered $25 a hour and will have to travel from Naples, to as close as Miami, to as far as Pensacola, FL. No insurance offered through the company, no benefits, etc. I will be expected to work outside only regardless of the weather occurring. Is there anybody else that would even taking thos job on for only $25? They will pay for hotels, but I will now have to eat out 7 days a week, have a baby on the way(Due in 3 months) and a puppy that would have to travel location to location. I feel as if $25 a hour is nowhere near enough for the amount of work being required.

Hells to the NO!!

Guest Timothy J
On 5/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, Guest Timothy J said:

Thanks all for the responses, I knew I wasn't being greedy by asking for more. I just wanted other unbiased window tinters to agree so I can show them. This job will be grueling. Asking for more, let's hope for the best! 

Hard pass. Especially with a full windshield being expected. I have a shop in N Ft Myers, and wouldn’t touch a full semi w windshield for less than $300. I could probably knock it out in an hour or so(depending on wind conditions). 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this