spacer
Xpel
suntekfilms.com
armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
Patterns.3M
spacer
Ross

I am never doing another boat window again!

Hey guys I seriously need some help I told this guy that I can do his boat I wasn't expecting it to be this difficult. I'll send pictures here in a minute since I'm on my way to it right now but my problem is the front glass with a sharp curve. I've tried just laying my film and cutting it and just applying it without any shrinking but there is shrinking needed. I've gone through too much feet of film already I am looking for any advice that would help me. I cannot take the window out. The glass that im tinting is pretty large and then becomes very short with curves. I'll upload some pictures I've just never done a boat before and didn't realize that way more difficult than the car.

20190511_094142.jpg

Edited by Ross
Spelling

Maybe this pic will help.  You gotta lay it out and shrink the top and bottom and stretch the curve.  

If you've done a couple of attempts you should understand what I mean.  

Trim it out 1/4" long all the way around.  Lay out the fingers and see which parts need to be stretched.  Shrink and trim everything but the upright section farthest away from the curve.  Trim the curve area to fit - and install from the curve over to straight/flat part.  

Best way I can describe it is that it is like doing a Vette rear glass or an older Z28 or Firebird.  Stretch and shrink are both used almost in the same areas. 

IMG_1344.JPG

Edited by Bham

Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate that I will give it a shot I think I have a pretty good idea what you're saying. I have been trimming to size all at once and then shrink. I'll try the 1/4 inch all around. Should I shrink it like a back window then as well with the h pattern? Look up the stretching process since I haven't done much of that

Edited by Ross

1 minute ago, Ross said:

Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate that I will give it a shot I think I have a pretty good idea what you're saying. I have been coming in all at once and then shrink.

It looks like you have the whole top already cut although is that correct? Or is that the factory edge

That is a trimmed top edge after laying out really long all the way around, then trimming closer as I kinda lay the film down with my hand, trying to make sure not to trim and then end up short because of the extreme curve.   

Lay it out wet, trim properly (1/4" long ALL THE WAY around)  then flip it over and dry the piece off and then try a dry shrink and work with curve as you would a Vette rear glass.  You can still stretch while dry shrinking.  Once it's shrunk, trim to fit all but the side by entry door.  It should lay in around the curve fine but because of the change of the inside curve VS the outside curve,  you will have to trim some after install because it is smaller on the inside.  If you try to cut it fit on the outside it will still be long on install.  

B beThat's what I just did but maybe I need to work online shrinking and stretching process I keeping finger straight do you recommend starting from the right side from my picture and work your way to the left

41 minutes ago, Ross said:

B beThat's what I just did but maybe I need to work online shrinking and stretching process I keeping finger straight do you recommend starting from the right side from my picture and work your way to the left

The tallest side (left looking at the picture) will have most fingers closet to it.  Easier to work them too and bottom in the big section.  The short side should have some fingers across the bottom possibly but the top shouldn’t have any.  Work all your fingers top and bottom.  

You gotta remember not to tilt your film to much and keep the factory edge level or else your are shrinking towards the sides of the film which doesn’t act very well when you do that.   

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.