Patterns.3M
Stek-USA
spacer
“Patterns.3M”
“Stek-USA”
spacer
Guest Adam

Fender full wrap kit - does it wrap into the wheel well edges?

Guest Adam

I'm looking to DIY PPF for my car and was wondering how the 'Full Wrap' pieces, such as the 'Full Wrap' fenders, wrap into the wheel wells.  Do these patterns wrap into the wheel well edge?  If so, how well does that stick?  Or does the pattern only wrap into the top and right hand side edges but not the wheel well?  I'm assuming it's probably NOT a good idea to wrap into the wheel well ~1/8" edges since continual exposure to dirt would cause it to lift at some point?  Thanks in advance for commentary.

Guest Adam

I prefer that no one else work on my car except for myself.  And i'm willing to take my time, as long as it takes, to wrap the pieces I want to wrap, piece by piece.  If I goof up and need to buy another piece, I will.  Everyone had to start somewhere on their first car, including you.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my original question.

It depends on who you order the kit from.  If ordered by phone through customer service, we (XPEL) offer wrapped edges when requested.  I'm with the others on this though.  It's not a matter of spending time.  In fact, the longer you take on ppf, the worse in turns out, in many cases.

Edited by XPEL Jeff

Guest Adam

I'm buying 3M Pro film so I assume the patterns are from their software.  Does the 'Full Wrap' fender there mean that it wraps into all edges, including the wheel well?  Is it advisable to wrap into the painted, but not perfectly smooth, wheel well lip which is about 1/8" or will it lift eventually once dirt starts to accumulate?

4 hours ago, Guest Adam said:

I'm buying 3M Pro film so I assume the patterns are from their software.

Highly unlikely that's what you're actually going to receive. Ebay, Amazon, and similar sites are full of counterfeit films. As far as 3M's patterns go they're hit or miss for fitment and the installers technique can have a massive impact on whether or not a given pattern will work. I generally don't bother wrapping edges but you're going to be looking for 1/8 to 1/4" wrapped around, dirt accumulation along an edge that's properly adhered and cured isn't going to cause the edge to lift. I'll also echo everyone else and tell you flat out you're going to be time and money ahead to find a good installer and pay to have it done professionally. Since you're not going to listen to that advice, good luck, you're going to need it. Just for curiosity's sake, what vehicle is it? 

You are going to have to research their patterns then. I don't know if the 3m rep looks at this. I don't think anyone else is going to chime in because they know what you are facing. For a bumper it's nice to have 2 guys that know what they are doing. To buy a one off pattern you may spend as much as having it done somewhere or close to it. One mistake and the whole piece is trashed and you are out $300. Buy another piece and you just paid more than if you would have had it done. Everything has to be right. It's a challenge even for an installer with a few years experience. It's not worth it for this. You would be better off buying a 50' roll and practice bulk installing. I wouldn't suggest it but to buy a pattern will prove to be a mistake for you. Trying to help you avoid the brain damage and loss of time and money not to mention the heart ache.

Guest Adam

Thanks for the words of advice.  I guess i'm stubborn and will likely end up regretting this but i'm going to give it a try anyways.  I have watched hours of videos on YouTube which at least gives me guidance on how to apply the technique, but of course, practice always makes perfect.

I will be wrapping the following items and will tackle them in the way they are ordered which I feel will give me the best chance for success.

2018 BMW M3 with 3M Scotchgard Pro series film-

1. Lights
2. Mirrors

3. Rocker panels

4. 12" wide by 4 feet long bulk sheet for covering a 12" area of the rear bumper where the rear tires kick dirt and debris.

5. Custom cut quarter panels which cover the wheel well and upwards and stop at the mid-line of the quarter panel.

6. Full fenders

7. Full hood 5 x 6 ft - $198 (Bulk Roll Only- Precut is too big for machine)

8. Front bumper - with camera and parking sensor cutouts, but NO WASHER cutouts.

If anyone is interested in selling me either Xpel or 3M Pro film, let me know too.....

Your'e going to try this yourself and of all cars it's an M3!!!    Your'e so screwed.  

I'm pretty experienced at installing bulk and you know what the one car is I dread doing the most.......   ding ding ding,  you guessed it the M3, M2, M5, M anything.....  The bumper is insane.  Even the headlights are difficult and most headlights are the simple part of the install.  

Wrapping wheel well edges is not a big deal, I do it all the time, you just need to clean them extremely well.  Also if you don't get the positioning and stretch just right with those patterns you'll have no extra film to tuck into the wheel wells.

My advise is to not buy anything but the headlights and start with those so you don't waste a ton of money.  Once you realize how difficult the headlights are pay a professional to do the rest.  You're biting off way more then you can chew on this one.  If it was a Porsche or Tesla hood and fenders I'd say you might be able to do it with minimal issues but not a M3.  

Josh

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.