Patterns.3M
spacer
Patterns.3M
spacer
Guest Pringo

PPF - is this normal?

Guest Pringo

Not sure which forum I should post this to, hopefully this is okay

I had ppf installed about a month ago and all was good. Recently noticed this slightly hazy effect on the hood. It's only noticeable at certain angles and under the right light, but if you look at the reflection of the light bulb on the hood, you can see a slight hazy effect there. It extends across that same horizontal plane across the hood.

Thought maybe it was some unwiped detailer but it didn't come off. Going back to the installer in a week as they're fully booked till then, but was wondering if anyone knew if this may be part of the curing process? The installer said they'd have to physically inspect it to be sure, and replace it if need be, but wanted to get some opinions as well.

Will be monitoring it over the week to see if it fades, but it wasn't apparent in the weeks leading up to today

https://m.imgur.com/a/ORWArKJ

few things that can be try.... leave it in the sun, light pass with heat gun , boiling water,  light polish

if none of this works than replace.

it may be the top coat hazed from when the film is rolled or if has been "bend" - handle improperly when the hood was installed

Guest Pringo

Weather hasn't been fantastic, not to mention I was travelling for a week so it was kept indoors for that duration. I also park in sheltered parking nearly all of the time. Guess that may contribute to a longer drying process? Will give the hot water suggestion a go and report back to see whether it helps 

Looks to me like a non cap sheeted film that may have been installed. Non cap is fine but when it’s stored uninstalled it can haze and do funky stuff. Sometimes you can heat it up and repair it but most times not. This happened to me with suntek a few times.

Guest Pringo

The film company is called Vkool, which is owned by the same parent company that owns Suntek, Eastman company, so won't be surprised if they are more or less the same film, just marketed differently in different countries. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.