armolanusa.com
tintwiz.com
Patterns.3M
Xpel
spacer
Sign in to follow this  
Wongway

Possibly damaged defroster?

Just had my MINI Countryman tinted yesterday by someone I figured to be relatively reputable in my area.

I notice this near break in my defrosters and I'm wondering what this is?

It doesn't feel like water or air trapped underneath, but I've never seen defrost lines look like they're bleeding

78E85A72-76FE-4ABF-9707-80B961AA0310.jpeg

Lines are broken, see this more often on a used car that's had paper tags or stickers on inside of back window. They either pull defrost when removed or some genius will try to scrape them off with razor blade. Probably like that before install only noticeable now after tinted 

Car was bought as a certified pre-owned 

2016 MINI Countryman with 18,600 miles on it. So relatively new, but it might not be unsurprising that they could've had stickers there...

Certified Pre-Owned places generally remove all aftermarket tint, especially if it might be illegal.  

Good chance this car was tinted before you and you are noticing the lines because you now have tint and it is easier to see the differences in the lines.  

I'm 100% positive it wasn't tinted before.   

I am not, however, positive the previous owner didn't put stupid window stickers up there before.

I saw the car pretty much as it came in, prior to any dealer prep/cleaning.  Hell, I even saw the silly alcohol breathalyzer thing in the glove compartment and the ashtray in the back 😛

I can't discount that the previous owner didn't have those stupid decorative stickers they put in the back though so that might very well be the root cause.

54 minutes ago, Wongway said:

I'm 100% positive it wasn't tinted before.   

I am not, however, positive the previous owner didn't put stupid window stickers up there before.

I saw the car pretty much as it came in, prior to any dealer prep/cleaning.  Hell, I even saw the silly alcohol breathalyzer thing in the glove compartment and the ashtray in the back 😛

I can't discount that the previous owner didn't have those stupid decorative stickers they put in the back though so that might very well be the root cause.

Your not going to get the answer you want....the way tint is applied there's no way they can pull defrosters. We only scrub wipe and apply 

52 minutes ago, Jkatfelix said:

Your not going to get the answer you want....the way tint is applied there's no way they can pull defrosters. We only scrub wipe and apply 

I'm not sure you know what answer I want.  

It seems to me so far, everyone has given very valid reasons for why that defroster looks the way it does.

I once was at Mercedes dealership buying a used CPO E350 when I noticed all the lines missing at the bottom and razor blade scrapes. I walked from that deal. Most wont noticed if a car has been tinted before and removed. It’s really with a trained eye is when you’ll noticed. Even I miss it sometimes on customers cars. It’s only when I go to tint it that I’ll realize it’s been tinted. Tint adhesive is virtually clear. This is the reason why remove and retint is expensive. We expect to tint at least a couple of windows several times before it’s good enough to hand back to the customers. Like everyone said it’s most likely a sticker that was removed improperly. This also should be a lesson to everyone to do a proper walk around with the customers before work is preformed. I now video record all vehicles prior to work. 

22 hours ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

...Like everyone said it’s most likely a sticker that was removed improperly. This also should be a lesson to everyone to do a proper walk around with the customers before work is preformed. I now video record all vehicles prior to work. 

Good practice, unfortunately, do you think that would have caught something like that defroster line?  

You wont be able to figure out how it got that way, but if you have a really good car warranty that covers everything, and the defroster doesn't work, you can remove the tint and possibly they will replace it.

If you're a little OCD and it just can't be like how it looks, you'd be surprised how affordable a back glass replacement is.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this