Guest TintPoser

I have seen some test results from blast testing and almost always, 3 ply 8 mil did best. The film has to flex. For anti intrusion, 10-15 mil is ok, but kind of overkill unless anchored to hell.

Guest Key West
Leo, if your looking for thick film bragging rights, Suntek had a 21 mil  :lol6

[*]161389

TS to my knowledge, they still do. I got a sample 10' roll from them. they SAY it will pass the miami/dade lg missile impact. I got that sample and said screw it. I aint hanging it. For any price. 21 mil was designed to be applied wth a machine that rolls it out at high pressure. I dont believe (could be wrong tho) that it can be adequately squegeed with glass in place. :lol6

Guest atypicaldave
Leo, if your looking for thick film bragging rights, Suntek had a 21 mil? :rollin

[*]161389

TS to my knowledge, they still do. I got a sample 10' roll from them. they SAY it will pass the miami/dade lg missile impact. I got that sample and said screw it. I aint hanging it. For any price. 21 mil was designed to be applied wth a machine that rolls it out at high pressure. I dont believe (could be wrong tho) that it can be adequately squegeed with glass in place. :dunno

[*]269900

It's called dry laminating and this procedure does not seem to allow the film to perform the same as a wet install.

Guest TintPoser
Leo, if your looking for thick film bragging rights, Suntek had a 21 mil  :beer

[*]161389

TS to my knowledge, they still do. I got a sample 10' roll from them. they SAY it will pass the miami/dade lg missile impact. I got that sample and said screw it. I aint hanging it. For any price. 21 mil was designed to be applied wth a machine that rolls it out at high pressure. I dont believe (could be wrong tho) that it can be adequately squegeed with glass in place. :beer

[*]269900

It's called dry laminating and this procedure does not seem to allow the film to perform the same as a wet install.

[*]269996

just applying a film to glass will not alow you to meett the miami large missle. the test spec's are for windows of a specific size.

example:

You have a peice of glass that is 28" x 28", it has to be tested in the specific type of frame, and pass (can't remember the pass count). If you have another window that is 28" x 31", you have to get that size window tested in that specific frame. That's why meeting the test specs for new construction is so damn difficult and cost prohibitive. Those idiots down there have hyped up the building code so much and made it so cost prohibitive for people to meet code. Many that would not have to meet code (Remodel) don't think there is an alternative to no protection at all. The people that really do well with safety retrofits have to do a tremendous amount of educatiing and advertising (information releases) to get a few people to do it. It's like the jackass builders that tell people you CAN'T put film on doublepane glass because you will have no warranty, it will explode, and people will die.

Why do you think that so many people do 90% remodels along the coast instead of buiding new? No need to meet new code.

Archived