2002 Jetta Rear Window Tint

Guest MikeyBoomer

Guest MikeyBoomer

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and enjoying reading other members experiences. I just had my 2002 Jetta GLS sedan Tinted. The back window has a very noticible black line running completely through it left to right. Upon close inspection I noticed that the Installer overlapped the 2 sections of Tint. Is this Correct? Im thinking not. What should be done to correct the problem? The Tinter told me to return so he cold trim the overlap. Is this the proper way to correct this foolish mistake? Or should I insist on having them redo the back window? the 4 side windows are perfect. ANy comments or suggestions would be grestly appreciated. Thanks, MikeyBoomer

Guest thetintshop

ok, I just reread your post. I think I misunderstood what you wrote. I was thinking he had used the factory straight edges to do the overlap. the way we did them many years ago.

after reading it again, I think he must have overlapped the pieces with the defroster. am I correct?

if this is the case, then this is normal with some tinters. I don't seam any back glasses. but some tinters do. I would take it back and ask if it could be fixed where it wasn't noticeable.

Guest skeeter

First off, you should not have 2 pieces on the back glass of a Jetta. The only reason is the installers had no 36 inch or 40 inch rolls of the film either you chose or they just decided to use.

Prior to the install was this discussed - one piece? Also, was the glass tinted behind the brake light?

Answer these questions along with what kind of tint/warranty/price you were given. Then, we can give you an appropriate answer.

like skeeter said, a jetta backglass is pretty easy to do in 1 piece for somebody that knows whats going on and has some experience. if you went with the cheapest price then you got what you paid for, but if you paid good money I would expect it to be in 1 piece.

Guest MikeyBoomer
Hey everyone, Im new to the site and enjoying reading other members experiences. I just had my 2002 Jetta GLS sedan Tinted. The back window has a very noticible black line running completely through it left to right. Upon close inspection I noticed that the Installer overlapped the 2 sections of Tint. Is this Correct? Im thinking not. What should be done to correct the problem? The Tinter told me to return so he cold trim the overlap. Is this the proper way to correct this foolish mistake? Or should I insist on having them redo the back window? the 4 side windows are perfect. ANy comments or suggestions would be grestly appreciated. Thanks, MikeyBoomer

The Tinter charged me $225.00 for the tint Job. Nothing was discussed prior to the install concerning 1 or 2 pieces for the rear window. I never had this problem before with past tint jobs from other shops with different vehicles so I never though to ask. After reading everyones post's I fully agree that it should be done in 1 piece especially since that back window is not too large an area to cover. The shop im dealing with has done previous work for me installing an Electric sunroof in a Jeep Grand Cherokee & Installing Brushed Aluminum side Panels to my Honda Prelude. The guys said he would correct it but if this means he's just willing to cut the two pices to meet Im not too sure if that will make me happy...Yes the overlap is definitely over one of the defroster coils as well. Thanks guys for assisting me here...Any other comments are always appreciated. MikeyBoomer

Archived