dot matrix--using glue gel

Guest thetintshop

Guest thetintshop

I just saw a tech bulletin where they tested the use of clear glue gel for the dot matrix. after 3 months of sustaining 200 degrees, it turned brown. also, most film manufacturers are voiding the warranties.

Guest Film Maverick

I asked the lab guy for SG in San Diego about the glues. He said the main problem from their vantage point was that any UV inhibitors within the glue would be damaged thus compromising the films ability to last in that area. He had the same concerns about flooding the area with alcohol and letting the adhesive get "mushy" to seal it to the matrix better.

Guest thetintshop

I don't believe everything they tell me either. but if they are going to void the warranty, I won't use it. I talked to llumar and they said the warranty is voided if glue gel is used.

I've seen almost 2 year old glue jobs look perfect, what else you going to do up there for the nasty ones, vinyl? I doubt that is fade proof. Or just let it look white and spotchy from the get go? They also give lifetime fade warranties now, you really belive that? jerkit.gif

Guest thetintshop

I use vinyl, oracal 851 series. has a 10 year warranty, and isn't transparent, VERY good vinyl. if the customer has a problem with it down the road, it's fairly easy to replace and not expensive. (never had to replace one yet tho) for the customers that don't want to pay extra for this service, I spray the matrix with dot devil and just let it look white. it's up to the customer on what they want it to look like and/or how much they want to spend.

Guest SQUEEGEE
I just saw a tech bulletin where they tested the use of clear glue gel for the dot matrix. after 3 months of sustaining 200 degrees, it turned brown. also, most film manufacturers are voiding the warranties.

I was skeptical at first as well but I have seen firsthand the glue hold up quite well over time.

I'm in a small town so to speak and I come across cars that I tinted last summer still look as good today as it did when I sent them off.

The bulletin is total B.S..

It's just a sequay into them releasing their own "approved" version of the same s**t.

Besides how can they void the warranty on it? Are you, the dealer, going to make a little annotation somewhere on the warranty card that you glued the dots? I retinted a mustang back window a couple of days ago for a lady who was yelled out of a tintshop because she didn't like the fact that the dot-matrix area had not been tinted on her car. She was told by the owner that they don't tint the dots because tint won't stick to 'em and it looks horrible. Would have loved to seen the look on his face after she and her pissed off son took the car back and showed him proof that it certainly could be done and done right. What good then would a warranty serve if the customer isn't happy in the first place?

The manufacturers don't like the fact that the people in the field on the front lines and places like td.com are outpacing them in the area of product knowledge and application. How else could they feel justified for charging $800-$1000 for tint-school?

Archived