Quick question to the Gods of Tinting

Guest Wellington P Funk

Guest Wellington P Funk

I drive an '02 Jeep Liberty Sport, which came from the factory with tinted rear windows. Not sure, but someone knowledgeable said Chrysler does 20% factory tint. I'd like to tint the front door windows to match, but a few questions come up.

First off, how hard will it be to match the odd brownish-black factory tint? It's a really odd shade, kinda like dark iced tea.

Second, is it possible to get a tint that looks dark from outside, but is a lighter shade when looking out from inside the vehicle? I'm not positive, but I think the law here in Pennsylvania is pretty lenient on front tint. At least, I've never heard of anybody being ticketed for tint, and I know of quite a few people with deep tint all the way around.

What I'd really like to do is find a shop that can tint my windows to match the factory tint from the outside, but have a very slight tint when looking out from within. Having marginal eyesight, and living in snow country, the less my outward vision is hampered by tint, the better! Bottom line, I want the look of a deep tint, but not the side-effects.

If what I'm asking is impossible or illegal, please feel free to point and/or laugh at me. Curious minds need answers!

Thanks in advance! I apologise if this topic has been covered in the past, but the search function isn't turning anything up in this regard.

-Bob

Guest Wellington P Funk
Quick question to the Gods of Tinting

you rang???

Wow, how did you manage to tint your entire body, including your hair and clothes?!

You MUST be a tint god!

:dunno:hmmm

-Bob

Guest Film Maverick

The way I read the state law for Pennsylvania is about the same as it is here in Cali.

70% net on the front doors which means a clear U.V. blocking film only.

This does not mean a 70% film but a much lighter film such as an 88% which when applied to glass should be just above the legal limit

Guest tintgod

as for your first ?....it is pretty hard to match that kind of glass....it does have a refective property to it for the outside right..?.but is brown or tan from the inside...?..if I remember correctly...I have tried different way to match it..but at the same time..and not knowing the pa. law off hand...it is usually illegal to tint your doors 20%..lenient or not..illegal is illegal...

as for the other ?.....IMO..most tint looks darker from the outside looking in..and lighter looking out....with exception to vehical that have really light interior....

Guest Wellington P Funk

It's not really that reflective, just dark. I guess my description was kinda misleading, it's not really an odd color or anything. . . . just more brown than black when you really scruitinize it from inside.

So I take it it's impossible to have black windows that look clear from inside? Damn.

-Bob

I'm not positive, but I think the law here in Pennsylvania is pretty lenient on front tint. At least, I've never heard of anybody being ticketed for tint, and I know of quite a few people with deep tint all the way around.

PA tint law SUCKS.

tint isn't an inspection item, but that doesn't make it legal. Cops enforce it, not inspection mechanics. IMHO that makes it worse because you never know when you'll get a fix-it ticket or fine. Having dark tint on the front just means they haven't been pulled over by a grumpy cop. Many cops don't bother you about it unless you're being blatant.

Actually, it's not hard to match. It's the same as suburbans, expeditions, caravans, Rams, etc. Llullu ATR and Suntek HP match it very well, but since your state sucks (tint laws) you can forget about anything matching it. If anyone tells you that they have a legal film that matches, you'll know they are full of it. Does day match night? That's the difference your windows will be if legal.

Archived