Defroster

Guest Tint Masters

Guest Tint Masters

This seems crazy to me but :lol this happens every once ina while. People calling to ask if they can use thier rear defroster after its been tinted? Is there something about this I do'nt know ? :rollin

I would tell them they can't, then tell them that goes for the windows too. Can't roll them up and down anymore :lol That should go over well.

I have heard this many times too. I'm thinking it's from people seeing it release around the lines, and they assume or some know-it-all says "that's cuz they used the defroster. can't use the defroster" :rollin

Guest Tint Masters
:lol This last one with that Q. is set for 1:00 he said another shop told him that. :rollin:rollin I will get some details on that conversation when he shows :thumb

Guest metint

It may be best to recommend the defrost not be used for at least the first week of dry time. This allows the application solution to dry from a start point of a thin sheet of water to the blister look it acquires after a day or two of drying. If there is any short anywhere in the defrost grid, and the water beneath the film is in full contact across the grid (water is a great conductor, you know), there is the potential for fireworks and a potential glass breakage. This is one reason for telling a client not to use the defrost for the first week of drying.

As for it causing adhesive troubles :hmmm it's not happenin'. The adhesives used in window film today have very high temp ratings, meaning they can withstand approximately 200-250 degrees or higher temps before being affected. Defrost elements are incapable of heating the glass temperature to that level before they automatically shut down... unless there is a short or malfunction in the system.

Yes, you will have those who will come and say they turn them on all the time without incident and some will say as a tinter they use them to speed dry their installs, the thing to remember is just because it hasn't happened in ten years does not mean it won't happen tomorrow.

Play it safe... recommend they not use the defrost for the first week after film installation. :hmmm

Got to cross swords with you on this one MeT. :spit:lol

I always switch on rear demisters the moment the install is done and I might run the car's heater too for a few minutes to help quickly dry the job.

The demister grid's heat really sets off the film for rear screens brilliantly....gets rid of the potential for fingers to pop up if screens are too wet.

I have never had a problem of any nature advising clients to use the grid immediately.....and that's over thousands of installs.

Could it be that your film manufacturer's product is not up to it? I woudn't think so. :lol

Devil

Guest metint

Roulette.... :spit

Since I field calls for a certain manu on installation issues, I have had car owners report what I have spoke of (using their defrost and the window goes kabooom)... how many times over 8 years of taking calls :lol does not matter. Gamble if you wish, it's your wallet. :lol

Archived