Tinting Front Windshield - Yay or Nay

Guest chefwong

That's right. :lol Losing my shirt plus having to live with myself after the accident doesn't sound very appealing, you know. :thumb

I would like to keep my shirts, I just had new ones made. Not to metion I don't care to lose everything I've worked for and work towards. Can you imagine having someone's life or problems on your head? Or having to work the rest of your life to pay someone else? Hell. look at my ex wife, she'll never make anything as long as I'm there to take it :lol:lol :lol

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well there are a lot of nay's out there..I gotta agree however: :lol I am restoring a van to make my new tint ride...a 67 ford econoline and had the w/shield out so I figured what the hay!. put a 32% on it the shield had no factory tint color..itis clear and the 32 looks great....I will not do it for customers but I did mine...who know how long it will last...and I didn't tint the side windows either..I found a piece of grey laminated flatglass and use my old window as patters and gut new ones...wait till they tell me to scrape the tint off.. :thumb ...I'll see if the old "it came this way works"....

Guest Marge

I have been doing a bit of research regarding the 'safety' issues of tinting the front windshield. It appears to me that there are some misconceptions about the effects tinting the windshield has on crash safety. The plastic laminate in the center of HPR windshields is there to prevent the ejection of people through the windshield and to hold the glass together so that it does not cause lacerations upon impact or the unlikely event of ejection.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev...ate/806693.html

So, how is tinting the front windshield prevent this from occuring. Indeed, wouldn't it be adding another layer of safety to the glass?

It seems to me that the regulations must have more to do with visibility, not saftey, as stated in Federal Motor Vehicle Saftey Standard 205,

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...=2001&TYPE=TEXT

With that said, I agree that for visibility purposes, the front windsheild should not be tinted. But I do have a strange thought running through my head... how is tinting the windshield and losing visibility any different than from putting on sunglasses? Granted, most people don't wear sunglasses at night, but with a very light film, wouldn't the glare be better from oncoming lights?

Interesting topic.

I've had 50% on my windshield for 4 years now. Never had a thought about accidents.

In my opinion if for some reason my seatbelt breaks and I hit something so hard at an attempt to eject me from the car I'm pretty sure it's gonna be fatal. regardless if it's tinted or not.

What about all the saftey films that people get on there windows :rollin

Wouldn't the side windows be affected the same?

Guest thetintshop
I have been doing a bit of research regarding the 'safety' issues of tinting the front windshield. It appears to me that there are some misconceptions about the effects tinting the windshield has on crash safety. The plastic laminate in the center of HPR windshields is there to prevent the ejection of people through the windshield and to hold the glass together so that it does not cause lacerations upon impact or the unlikely event of ejection.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev...ate/806693.html

So, how is tinting the front windshield prevent this from occuring. Indeed, wouldn't it be adding another layer of safety to the glass?

It seems to me that the regulations must have more to do with visibility, not saftey, as stated in Federal Motor Vehicle Saftey Standard 205,

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...=2001&TYPE=TEXT

With that said, I agree that for visibility purposes, the front windsheild should not be tinted. But I do have a strange thought running through my head... how is tinting the windshield and losing visibility any different than from putting on sunglasses? Granted, most people don't wear sunglasses at night, but with a very light film, wouldn't the glare be better from oncoming lights?

Interesting topic.

here's an easy way to stick your foot in your mouth---

get two pieces of tempered glass. (yes I know we're talking laminated, but there's a purpose for this demonstration) leave one of them untinted, and tint the other one. now, with all your might, send your fist through the untinted one. you might come out with some sore knuckles and a few scrapes and minor cuts.

now send your fist through the one that's been tinted. I'll assume your tried it if you don't respond in 3 months because your arm is in a cast from breaking every stinkin bone in your hand and wrist.

have you ever seen a wrecked car where someone hit the windshield? I have, lots of them. there's a volleyball size area sticking out about 6-8 inches where the glass "gave". if you tint it, it will NOT give like it's supposed to. :shock resulting in breaking every bone in your neck or back or just snapping your neck and killing your dumb azz.

any dumbazz stupid enough to tint his whole windshield deserves whatever he gets if he's ever in a wreck. so I say tint away. :rollin

Guest TulaneBME
any dumbazz stupid enough to tint his whole windshield deserves whatever he gets if he's ever in a wreck. so I say tint away. 

How about?....Any dumbazz stupid enough not to wear his seat belt shouldn't be tinting his front windshield.

With regard to driving at night, I've found that my 35% film has very little effect on safety when driving in urban areas or against oncoming traffic. The reduced intensity of oncoming headlights pretty much makes up for the darker tint so that the field of view is about the same. Out on country roads...yes, of course your vision is impaired, but not to the point that it becomes dangerous, in my opinion (assuming you have healthy eyesight). I drive a regular cab truck, however, so, visibility is excellent to begin with. The important thing is to tint all other windows dark enough.

Oh yeah...I had a buddy in high school with a regular cab chevy with two layers of 5% on the sides and back and two layers of 20% across the entire front windshield. The state trooper metered his side window at 0.2%. The funniest thing was watching kids walk up to his parked truck and knocking to figure out if he was in there or not.

Guest Marge
here's an easy way to stick your foot in your mouth---

get two pieces of tempered glass. (yes I know we're talking laminated, but there's a purpose for this demonstration) leave one of them untinted, and tint the other one. now, with all your might, send your fist through the untinted one. you might come out with some sore knuckles and a few scrapes and minor cuts.

now send your fist through the one that's been tinted. I'll assume your tried it if you don't respond in 3 months because your arm is in a cast from breaking every stinkin bone in your hand and wrist.

So I assume you've done this and thus must be an expert typing with a broken hand?

I posted that because I've been seeing too many jerks around here with their windshields tinted and I wanted some <I>proof</I> as to why it's illegal (that means studies or the like) not conjecture or signs like this: :rollin.

After reading this thead, I decided to do some research about it, to find some facts to back up my 'no's when I tell customers we cannot tint their windshield. I have not found that yet, besides visibility. Which is enough for me, (besides the illegality of it), and I do NOT tint windshields.

Point me to a study and I'll believe the safety reasons. Otherwise, despite what you must think, I'm not stupid enough to run my hand through any glass--safety, not safety, tinted or not.

Guest Sprinter

whew!

it's all been said some yays and more nays, to each his/her own.

one wonders why the glass is'nt made to rejects at least 30-40% heat!

that would solve the problem!

one wonders also why so many people don't wear sun glasses, It's BRIGHT out there! also cut down on the glare!

marge welcome!

and don't take it too personal that one would dissagree with you, you have valid points in your serches! :rollin

Archived