Low E Flat Glass

Guest hewinutah

Guest Film Maverick

Depends on which surface the Low-E coating is on. From the outside looking in the glass surfaces are numbered 1,2,3,& 4. The coating will be on either 2 or 3, you need to find out which. Some films will never be approved, some will.

Guest hewinutah

Thanks Film Maverick,

I talked to my window mfg (Milgard) and they told me that my windows dual payne, with the coating on the inside of the outer window. Hope that makes sense. So I guess that makes the low-e on surface 2.

Any thought on film types? I want to block UV more that light.

Guest Film Maverick

Any professional grade film is going to block 98% or more of the UV. Are you trying to stop fading? or is there another issue?

Guest hewinutah
Any professional grade film is going to block 98% or more of the UV.  Are you trying to stop fading? or is there another issue?

Mainly fading, We have windows in our house that do not lend themselves to curtins and such, and they have great views of the mountains.

Milgard told me that if the window is tinted, the warranty is void. They also told me that the additional heat that the tint will generate may break the seal and allow water into the window glass. Are they full of it? Also should I loof for a metelized or non-metelized film.

Guest Film Maverick

Fading is caused by:

Ultra Violet 40%

Heat 25%

Visble Light 25%

Misc. 10%

If you stop just UV you have left 60% of the cause behind.

The light films that sound appropriate for your situation are:

Solar Gard Silver 50 - 56% total solar energy rejected

Solar Gard Stainless Steel 50 - 43% TSER

Panorama Sterling 60 - 54% TSER

I use Solar Gard so my recommendations are based on that. You may want to ask the opinions of the other members.

Guest Film Maverick

With the Sterling product you can get an extended warranty that will pick up where Milgard left off. 3M has the same type of warranty as well as CP Films Vista series.

Do not put anything on your house that is not 100% metallized. If it is not metal it will definitely fade and can cause greater heat build up than a fully metalized product.

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Good job Maverick on explaining that for him. Just to let you know Hewinutah, Milgards are one of the best built windows in the industry. Even today I used a pure metallized film on an arched top window made by Milgard. I love working on those things. All edges are frikkin' clean and straight!

Where are you located at? And welcome to the boards.

You should have stated using a dyed film is not the way to go. Too much heat being absorbed.

Metailzed are not the only films out there. There are ceramic, and XIR technologies that will fit the bill.

As far as the glass warranty, that has been a subject for years that the glass companies cannot back the claim. Just ask a flat installer who has been doing this for over ten years. Now the film manufacturers have warranties that take over the existing glass warranty. Just ask the installing company about them.

Guest hewinutah

Thanks everyone! I talked to a loacl installer (Utah), he selles the llumar film. The installer said him and llumar will replace a cracked window caused be the tint. I will have to get that part in writting :coffee

Archived