Wool Buffing Pads

Guest FMS01

Guest FMS01

I have been using the 6" DA pads with my Porter Cable for quite some time now for all of my client cars. Mainly because the majority of them are new and need cutting of the finish except for the occasional scratch. This brings me to my question about these pads. I have seen various piles ranging from 3/4" to 1 1/2". I have always used the 1 1/2" pile pads on my mikita for removing scratches in the past and was curious why the different lenghts. I'm I using the wrong pile for the scratches?:thumb

On a side note: I was reading through my "Automotive Detailing" book by HPBOOKS and they mentioned 100% sheepskin pads for finishing but I don't think I've ever seen one. Are they for real?

You not only are using the wrong pad for scratches, you are using the wrong buffer. A DA is usually used for ax application or maybe for polishing. Using a wool pad is awaste of time. The DA is not designed to be powerful enought to get out scratches.For scratches you need to use a high speed buffer.

What do you mean when you say a new car needs "cutting of the finish"?

Guest FMS01

CW. I do use a high speed(mikita) for the scratches. My question is why the different pile lenghts.

"I have always used the 1 1/2" pile pads on my mikita for removing scratches in the past and was curious why the different lenghts."

By cutting the finish I mean removing any irregularities such as scratches, water spots ect.. The easiest way to do this is by using the wool pad with the mikita. However, I have removed light scratches with the DA and a orange power pad set on 5 but it takes forever. The high speed is much quicker. :evileye