Tint and shop location advise

Guest finalrinse

Guest finalrinse

Hello everyone,

I want to get a Mazda3 5-Door (hatch) tinted. I live in S.E. Michigan south of Detroit (downriver). I'm very disappointed about the Michigan law not allowing any tint on the front door glass, well almost none; they allow 4" down from the top which I don't care for at all. So, what should I put on the rest? Which consists of the rear door glass, small rear quarter glass, and hatch glass. The law states no restrictions for this glass. I was thinking maybe 35% for the rear doors, and 20% for the small quarter glass and hatch. What do you guys think will look good keeping in mind the front door glass will have nothing, or maybe 50%. I notice many many vehicles around here with all the windows tinted including front door glass, do the police also think the Michigan law is maybe unreasonable and decided to not hassle these people, don't know? In any case I'm not interested in breaking the law, just looking for your opinions and appreciate it very much.

The other thing I would like to know, who should I have do this? I found one shop in Woodhaven, Auto Ameristar, they use Solar Gard. If you guys know of other good shops with high quality tint please let me know. I attached a picture out of a brochure.

Thank you very much!

Guest thetintshop

I would recommend asking a friend. one who is NOT a cheap azz. before asking price, always ask to see some previous work. if it sucks, then price really doesn't matter. make sure you're getting a good hybrid or all metal film, then start asking about price.

Guest finalrinse

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated! Price is not a concern. I only know a few people with there windows tinted and one was done in Florida, so I don't really have any one to ask opinions. I guess Michigan is not real big with tint, long winters with cloudy days is probably the reason. The only reason I want tint is for exterior looks, like one would do when they put different wheels and tires on, it's not a big concern to keep the sun out, probably because there is no where near as much as Arizona or Florida. This is a very interesting forum, I will keep reading and looking until I find what I think will look good with high quality. High quality is very important to me. It appears there are very good professional installers with good products on this forum, I wish I was closer to them. Moving to another State as someone suggested because of Michigan tint laws is not possible, as I only have 4 years left until retirement with full pension. Then maybe I will move to FL. or AZ., I work in both of these States in the winter months and like the weather. Michigan is home and very nice in the summer but hate the winter here.

Thanks

Archived