SPUTTERED vs METALLIZED vs DYED

G'day Leo,

To try and better protect myself against film going bad too early (because we all know this shiot doesn't last), sputtered films do last way longer than straight metalised vacuum deposited films for sure.

I'm glad you posted this topic for I had been thinking of doing that for some time to gauge other tinter observations as well.

Cheers,

Devil :bingo

I think in Australia ALL films must fade in some 3-5 years? Am I right?

And if so, why NOT use cheaper product?

Very right Leo, Sungarb I have within 1 year of fitting.

A cheaper product would only makes things worse and because I want to hang around for a few more years tinting, I'd rather have a product that I can buy that may be dearer initially but last longer.

It becomes false economy to buy cheap.

Down here we seem to get a lot of junk offered from Korea. I'm not at all happy with their film quality.

devil

Sputtered for longevity, metal for shrinking.

I used Solargards sputtered film (cant remember the name) and had a real hard time dry shrinking a 99 Civic hatch but did it quite easily with SunGard metal film.

I used Solargards sputtered film (cant remember the name) and had a real hard time dry shrinking a 99 Civic hatch but did it quite easily with SunGard metal film.

Is it general for Australia sputtering or metall? I think everything is fade there appr. in one time.......

Metal is more common on the west side.

In our weather, 16-24 degree winters, 30-42 degree summers, the metal films I use dont noticabley lose its colour for at least 3 years, then it goes slowly down hill from there.

I haven't really seen any major problems with any sputtered films Ive used.

Guest metint

Is it general for Australia sputtering or metall? I think everything is fade there appr. in one time.......

Sputtered does not mean the metal lasts longer... it is just another way of depositing metal to a substrate. Sputtering was developed for the sole purpose of being able to use alloys of metals rather than pure metals like copper or aluminum or silver. Alloy metals cannot be vapor deposited because the metals it contains have different melting point. What makes a metal last is the kind of metal and what the film maker does to the film to protect the metal from the sun's harmful rays. :rollin

I have watched a LLuLLu R-20 install one block from the Atlantic Ocean in Florida for the last twenty years... it still looks fine with a vapor deposition of aluminum. I have installed one piece of Sol gard sputtered aluminum film to the same building 9 years after the original install date only to witness it burn out to clear over the last eleven years.

When shrinking, the metal deposition does play a role in a film's ability to shrink, but more so it is the polyester used and what the manufacturer of the film has or has not done to the poly to improves its shrinkability. :hmmm

Archived