dead dog--2 years in jail

Guest thetintshop

Guest thetintshop

FORT WORTH ? Colleyville veterinarian Mircea Volosen was found guilty of animal cruelty for killing a neighbor's miniature dachshund that he said had been chasing his chickens.

Family members were upset after Judge Kit Cooke announced the felony verdict this morning. Dr. Volosen, 45, was immediately taken into custody. Lawyers said he would post a $5,000 bond and appeal.

Dr. Volosen could face up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine after being found guilty on the felony count of cruelty to an animal. He will be sentenced later this summer.

The veterinarian's attorneys based their defense on Dr. Volosen's right to protect his property and his own animals.

"I think the law is very clear about being able to protect your property," said defense attorney Bryan Buchanan.

Mr. Ball could not be reached for comment Tuesday. He has previously said his dog did not attack any of Dr. Volosen's animals preceding the incident.

The prosecution argued that the dog was not a threat to Dr. Volosen's chickens.

"The biggest lesson is to try and get along with your neighbors and don't take the law into your own hands," said Walt Junker, the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case. "This didn't have to go this far."

Junker said the case could have started and ended with a $100 fine to the Balls for failing to keep their dog on a leash.

"Nobody here is saying both sides are innocent," Junker added. "The problem is, the defendant took the case to the next level."

A police officer testified he found no dead chickens the day the dog was killed.

Dr. Volosen has since moved away from the neighborhood, and he faces the loss of his veterinary license.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe I'll just go beat the @#$% out of my neighbor with a baseball bat. :hump

I have been thinking of that myself with a guy that stole some stuff from me. It seems it would be cheaper and more effective. The police said until he is caught with my tools, they couldn't search anything even though I know he took them and where they are 100% for sure. :lol6

Guest fastlanedesigns

Well, you do have to admit, the guy is a vet! I mean, we don't know what foreign wars he might have served in. Ohhhhh, a veternarian. Maybe he should have killed one of his chickens just to make it look right. :thumb

Guest Blade
maybe I'll just go beat the @#$% out of my neighbor with a baseball bat. :beer

:spit So the law doesn't apply to chickens? Does it still apply to that goat your gonna get? :lol6

You haven't seen anything yet, soon people will be jailed for killing snails :lol6

New slug for snail cruelty

July 12, 2004

Page Tools

* Email to a friend

* Printer format

London: Slugs and snails will be offered the same protection against mistreatment as cats and dogs under a proposed new law that has been condemned by gardeners as absurd.

Legislation to be announced by the Government this week will give courts the power to impose fines of up to ?20,000 ($51,000) and 12 months in jail on people found guilty.

Anyone under the age of 16 will be banned from owning a pet, and goldfish will no longer be allowed to be given as prizes at fairgrounds.

The legislation could mean gardeners are fined for killing insects, worms, caterpillars, slugs and snails, if scientific evidence proves they have suffered pain and distress. Horticulturalists said the plan was excessive; they rejected the idea that they could be guilty of cruelty.

John Cushnie, a regular panellist on BBC Radio's Gardeners' Question Time, said some aspects of the legislation were nonsensical. "To give worms and slugs protection under the law is ludicrous. If I have an infestation of slugs or snails or cabbage white butterflies, then I will get rid of them in whatever way I choose.

Advertisement Advertisement

"If I want to boil them alive, stamp on them or treat them to a slow drawn-out death by poison, then I will."

Under the new law

unborn animals will receive the same protection.

RSPCA inspectors would gain the right to enter without a warrant any lorry, ferry, plane or hovercraft carrying animals.

The crackdown, which follows pressure from the RSPCA and organisations such as the Kennel Club, has been criticised for not going far enough.

Archived